Audio By Carbonatix
Cameroon opposition leader Issa Tchiroma Bakary said on Friday he had been escorted to a secure location by soldiers loyal to him for his protection, a move that could signal a split within the army following a disputed election.
Tchiroma had been holed up in his house in the northern city of Garoua since a presidential election on October 12 in which he claimed victory.
Although he did not give the number of soldiers, his assertion that members of the army are loyal to him could indicate a split within the country's security forces.
"I thank the loyalist army, which has shown its patriotism by escorting me to a safe location and is currently ensuring my protection," Tchiroma said in a message on his Facebook page.
A spokesperson for the central African nation's defence ministry declined to comment to Reuters.
Cameroon's Constitutional Council on Monday declared President Paul Biya, the world's oldest ruler at 92, as the winner of the election, leading to violent protests in several cities of the oil- and cocoa-producing nation.
The disputed election has escalated tensions in the country, with security forces accused of killing at least 23 protesters and detaining over 500, according to a civil society group.
In a separate message on Facebook on Friday, Tchiroma called for a three-day national lockdown from Monday urging supporters to suspend activities and remain at home to show disagreement with the election results.
"Let the entire country come to a standstill, so that the whole world knows that we are resisting and that we will not yield," Tchiroma said in a video.
"Let us keep our shops closed, suspend our activities, remain at home, in silence, to demonstrate our solidarity and to remind this regime that the strength of an economy is its people."
Latest Stories
-
‘Jesus was accused; he kept quiet’ – Afenyo-Markin softens stance on legal action against Gyamfi
7 minutes -
NSMQ 2026: Accra High steals one-eighth ticket from Sunyani SHS in stunning final-round twist
8 minutes -
Kejelcha breaks men’s half marathon world record by 29 seconds
8 minutes -
Nkoko Nkitinkiti programme has failed – Afenyo-Markin claims
34 minutes -
NDC yet to deliver key 2024 campaign promises – Afenyo-Markin
37 minutes -
Adamus welcomes 12-month roadmap to revive mine, restore investor confidence
2 hours -
T-bills: Government records 162% oversubscription, interest rates slump
2 hours -
UPSA moves to turn student research into market-ready solutions
2 hours -
Presby SHS, Suhum honour late coordinator with dominant One-Eighth qualification
2 hours -
NDC Volta team tracks development projects across four districts
2 hours -
NSMQ 2026: St. Monica’s SHS snatch one-eighth ticket from Amenfiman SHS in dramatic showdown
2 hours -
Why celebrate $2.62bn FDI while losing $1.7bn under the Domestic Gold Programme? IERPP asks
2 hours -
COKA urges NPP executives to return to party’s core values ahead of 2028
3 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Nsutaman stages comeback against Serwaa Nyarko Girls, Hope College to book One-Eighth spot
3 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Fafraha Community SHS defy odds to secure one-eighth spot
3 hours