Some 43 people, including four Chinese nationals, have been quarantined in Nigeria’s northern Plateau state as a precaution to contain the possible spread of coronavirus.
The country confirmed its first coronavirus case last Friday. The patient is an Italian citizen who works in Nigeria and flew into the commercial capital of Lagos from Milan.
Authorities say they have reached about 100 people who may have come into contact with him. Of that number, 58 are under supervised self-isolation in Lagos and Ogun states, according to authorities.
Plateau state Commissioner of Information Dan Manjang told the BBC that the isolated group will be observed for 14 days.
Mr Manjang said the four Chinese nationals are quarantined within the premises where they live near the city of Jos. They arrived in Nigeria from China last week as part of a mining team.
Another 39 Nigerians who were in contact with the four Chinese nationals have also been quarantined.
Earlier on Monday, Nigeria’s Minister of Health Osagie Ehanire said the government has tightened surveillance at the various points of entry into the country.
- One feared dead, several others injured after accident at Legon underpass
- Citi FM journalist, Caleb Kudah allegedly picked up by National Security operatives
- Fire guts new Kejetia Market
- Ghana drops to 95th in 2021 World Happiness ranking
- Citi FM journalist, Caleb Kudah released from National Security custody
- Chinua Achebe’s ‘Things Fall Apart’, ‘No Longer at Ease’ and ‘Arrow of God’ are being adapted for television
- Cape Coast airport to be completed before end of second term – Transport Minister assures
- Wesley Girls: Aside ban on fasting Muslims aren’t allowed to observe Salat – Old student
- Our scholars in Cuba are broke because they insist on table-top payment – GNPC Foundation
- Don’t shake your car when fueling – Transport Consultant
4 more die of Covid-19, active cases now 1,519
Eight home-based players included in Ghana’s squad to face Morocco and Ivory Coast
Extraordinary problems require extraordinary measures – Lands Minister justifies burning of excavators
Government’s fight against galamsey camouflage – PPP
Court remands 32 alleged national security operatives accused of mining
Kenyan MPs summoned over bribery claims
#FixTheCountry: Be measured in your expectations of Akufo-Addo due to Covid-19 – Chief of Staff
#FixTheCountry: Pay cut for political leaders will not achieve much – Afenyo-Markin
Kumawood stars grace Mercy Asiedu’s 50th birthday
MTN Ghana donates in support of Eid celebration in Western Region
Inflation rate drifts into single digit of 8.5 per cent in April
Church of Pentecost hands over fully furnished Ejura prison to state
Legatum Center for Development and Entrepreneurship launches inaugural Legatum Foundry Fellowship for entrepreneurs in Africa
Pregnancy should not be a hindrance to your dreams – Nana Adwoa Awindor
Over 90% of ‘rotten’ vehicles at National Security premises distributed – Former MASLOC boss