Audio By Carbonatix
A fire outbreak near the VVIP Station at Kwame Nkrumah Circle in Accra has been successfully confined by the Ghana National Fire Service (GNFS), calming fears among residents, traders, and commuters who frequent the busy transport hub.
The fire broke out behind the VVIP Station on Tuesday, January 20, 2026, triggering concern in the area as thick smoke billowed into the sky.
In an interview with JoyNews’ James Avedzi, the Greater Accra Regional Fire Officer, ASP Rashid Kwame Nisawu, said the Service had deployed five fire appliances, supported by a private water tanker, to control the situation.
“We have five appliances with a tanker in augmentation, and we’ve managed to confine the fire. As we speak, the fire has been confined. We are yet to bring it fully under control and declare it finally extinguished,” he said.
ASP Rashid Nisawu assured residents and facility owners around the area not to panic, stressing that the situation was under control.
“We have taken control. The police are here to cordon off the area, security and safety are guaranteed, and nobody should panic,” he added.
Water Supply and Firefighting Efforts
Responding to questions about the source of water for the operation, ASP Rashid Nisawu said the team had been relying on hydrants located around the Ghana Revenue Authority (GRA) office and the GNFS national headquarters.
“We get water from hydrants around the GRA and our national headquarters. That’s where we are sourcing the water from,” he explained.
He disclosed that the fire engines had made multiple refills since operations began. “We have five fire engines here, including a private tanker. Some have gone through two or three refills already. On average, if each has gone about three times, that is roughly about 15 refills so far,” he noted.
According to him, preliminary information suggests the fire may have started from a kiosk located near the VVIP Station.
“We are told it started from a kiosk. We are yet to investigate what was going on in that kiosk before the fire erupted. We’ve confirmed it started from there, but what caused it is what we are yet to investigate further,” he said.
Latest Stories
-
PIAC accuses government of breaching oil fund law with $100m cap instead of required $584m
4 minutes -
Ghana’s triple reboot: Making independence real
6 minutes -
Yaa Naa applauds Stanbic Bank for contributions to the development of Dagbon
13 minutes -
Powering Ghana’s SMEs through green financing partnerships
17 minutes -
Nigeria arrests former minister in hiding after corruption conviction
20 minutes -
Kwabena Boamah urges stronger governance and strategy to unlock pension fund investments
29 minutes -
Stanbic Bank calls on developers to strengthen project fundamentals to unlock real estate financing
35 minutes -
Africans Communicating Africa to launch in Accra with call to reclaim Africa’s narrative
40 minutes -
“Ato Forson is doing well but NDC not better than NPP” – Stephen Amoah
1 hour -
UMA donates medical equipment to Amomaso CHPS compound to end high-risk referrals
1 hour -
Xenophobic attacks: Gov’t announces support package for Ghanaians being evacuated from South Africa
2 hours -
Average lending rate falls sharply to 16.33% in April 2026
2 hours -
Accra Academy to launch 95th anniversary celebration on May 29
2 hours -
Ghana partners Google for Education to drive AI revolution in schools
2 hours -
Born In Harmony: A young girl shaped by chorale music
2 hours