Everyone aged 50 and over in England is now being invited to book a coronavirus vaccination on the NHS website.
It comes after the government announced last month that all over-50s should be offered a coronavirus vaccine by May.
The government is aiming to offer a vaccine to all those in the first nine priority groups by then.
This includes older care home residents and staff, everyone over 70, all frontline NHS and care staff, those who are clinically extremely vulnerable, the over-65s, all those over 16 with underlying health conditions, the over-60s, over-55s and now the over-50s.
The Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation (JCVI) has already recommended that the next phase of Covid vaccinations should continue to prioritize people by age and not their occupation to avoid slowing down the rollout.
People aged 40-49 will be the next in line to get a vaccine after all vulnerable groups and the over-50s are covered.
The committee said this would provide “the greatest benefit in the shortest time”.
It added that prioritising occupational groups such as teachers and police could make the rollout more complex and could potentially slow the vaccination programme overall, leaving some vulnerable people at higher risk for longer.
The priority order of vaccinations for phase two will be:
• Everyone aged between 40 and 49
• Everyone aged between 30 and 39
• Everyone aged between 18 and 29
Nearly 25 million people across the UK had received their first doses of a Covid-19 vaccine by Tuesday.
The UK also carried out 53,366 second vaccination jabs on Monday, meaning 1,663,646 people have had two doses.
Prime Minister Boris Johnson has set the target of vaccinating all UK adults by the end of July.
England is eyeing a return of the rule of six outdoors and the resumption of organised sports on 29 March.
Elsewhere, Scotland’s First Minister Nicola Sturgeon has said the country’s “stay at home” order would be replaced with a “stay local” message on 2 April.
It follows a similar move from the Welsh First Minister Mark Drakeford, with the “stay at home” order changed over the past weekend.
Northern Ireland’s lockdown restrictions will be reviewed later this week.
- Angry Ghanaian youth take #FixTheCountry protests to social media after court injunction
- Ghana Month Series: Sunyani Traditional Area discounts Krontihene’s narration of historical facts
- Playback: Finance Minister addresses nation amidst #FixTheCountry protest
- #FixTheCountry: Bang your utensils, toot your horns on Sunday – Conveners announce format for virtual protest
- #FixTheCountry: Mere speeches won’t cut it, people want something substantive – Protestors tell Finance Minister
- Government will address issues raised by #FixTheCountry conveners – Ofori-Atta
- Electoral Commission has no beef with NDC – Bossman Asare
- #FixTheCountry convener’s claim of phone cloning false and baseless – Oppong Nkrumah
- #FixTheCountry: I’ve always supported the agenda since the beginning of my career – Sarkodie
- Full text: Ken Ofori-Atta’s media briefing amidst #FixTheCountry protest
30 communities in Central and Greater Accra Regions to experience ‘dumsor’
Today’s front pages: Monday, May 10, 2021
Debt increase of 137% between 2016 and 2020 lower than previous administrations – Ofori-Atta
Old students of Wesley Girls refute claims of banning a specific religious group from fasting
Abdul Karim Ibrahim: #FixTheCountry – Governance is not a bride, we refuse to be in-laws to the political class
Real Madrid miss chance to go top after Sevilla draw
Juventus drop out of top four after Milan defeat
Statement attributable to the Spokesperson for the Sec.-Gen. – on the death of Lt. Gen. Erskine – first UNIFIL Force Commander
Man Utd comeback at Aston Villa keeps Man City waiting on title
Francis-Xavier Sosu: CNN interview – Akufo-Addo lied or has lost touch with reality in Ghana
Cinco de Mayo, marked in Ghana with La Cocina Mexicana
Queen mothers lobby for appointment of female as Kwaebibrem MCE
#FixTheCountry: If all we need is patience, then government is misreading our demand – Barker-Vormawor
Let us #FixTheCountryTogether – Ofori-Atta urges Ghanaians
2020 Election petition: We paid our lawyers well to do a good job – Bossman Asare