Former Evalue Gwira MP, Catherine Ablema Afeku, says even the spokesperson of the opposition NDC, Sammy Gyamfi, believes in NPP flagbearer aspirant, Alan Kwadwo Kyerematen.
According to her, this is an evidence of Mr Kyerematen’s appeal amongst Ghanaians and across the political divide.
Speaking to JoyNews’ Maxwell Agbagba during Mr Kyerematen’s tour of the Western North Region, she said though Alan is hailed within his own political circle, he also has a lot of external sympathisers rooting for his candidature.
In her view, Alan’s cross-sectional appeal is a strong trait which can inure to the benefit of the NPP in the upcoming 2024 general election.
“This is the gentleman that even the vociferous Sammy Gyamfi even vouches for him; [Sammy Gyamfi] of the NDC. And I’ll get you the tape after this.
“He extols the virtues and the integrity of this young man. That doesn’t mean he’s going to vote for him. But he’s saying emphatically that this man, it is difficult to pin anything on him”, Catherine Afeku said.
Touting Mr Kyerematen’s credentials, she added that so far, out of the current NPP flagbearership aspirants, the former Trade Minister is the best candidate to convince Ghanaians in 2024.
She explained that currently, Ghana’s economy is in tatters, and therefore in order for the party to win the next elections, there is the need for a credible candidate to woo voters, despite the economic crisis.
She said even though the economy is ‘wobbly’, a credible candidate like Alan Kyerematen can leverage his credibility to appeal to voters, even though the party may not have a good message.
She therefore called on all NPP delegates to rally behind Mr Kyerematen in his quest to take over the mantle of the party’s leadership from President Akufo-Addo.
The NPP is set to elect a new flagbearer this year ahead of next year’s presdiential election.
A meeting to decide on the date for the said elections however ended inconclusively on February 2.
While some are calling for an earlier election, others are calling for a deffered period.
Touching on this, Catherine Afeku said she believes in the party’s hierarchy to resolve the seeming confusion surrounding the date for the party’s presidential primaries.
Currently, Mr Kyerematen is in the Western North Region as part of efforts to engage party delegates and stakeholders in his bid to be elected as the new flagbearer of the NPP.
Meanwhile, the NPP flagbearer hopeful, Alan Kyerematen says the worsening economic conditions in the country will affect the party’s chances in the 2024 general elections.
He said to enhance the prospects of the party winning the elections, a flagbearer with vision and integrity must be elected.
“Akufo-Addo has done well. He has initiated numerous programmes such as; 1D1F, Planting for Food and Jobs, Free SHS, but we all know that currently, times are hard.
“Due to this hardship, our key message for campaigning as a party for the 2024 election has become difficult to identify. I won’t lie to you, times are hard and any truthful person will tell you this“, he said in the local Twi dialect.
In Saturday’s visit to the Sefwi-Wiawso Traditional Council, Mr. Kyerematen stressed that he is the most suitable candidate for the NPP’s flagbearer position.
- Akufo-Addo swears in 3 new members of Electoral Commission
- ECG disconnects power to Ho Airport, GRA over debt
- Fella Makafui reacts after Twitter user accuses her of ‘sleeping’ with Medikal’s ex-manager
- Overborrowing is one of Akufo-Addo’s biggest mistakes – Prof Adei
- ‘Western Togoland’: 5 secessionists handed 5 years in jail each
- Ludacris hangs out with Sarkodie in Ghana, fans speculate new music
- Ghana v Angola: Kingsley Schindler replaces injured Tariq Lamptey
- Cedi may record mixed performance to dollar this week
- GALLERY: Best pictures from Black Stars training at Accra Sports Stadium on Monday
- Putin says ties with Africa a priority to Moscow
- AFCON 2023Q: Goalpost collapses and injures Wollacott in training
- Ghana’s economy is still afloat because of Alan Kyerematen’s vision – Buaben Asamoah
- Intimidation of journalists is on the rise – Kweku Andoh Awotwi
- I have already won Ayawaso West Wuogon NDC primaries – Fred Nuamah
- Playback: One-one-on with Managing Director of ECG on PM Express
- EC has become an annex of the NPP – Sammy Gyamfi
- If you move right, you don’t need 10 shows to be okay – Kelvyn Boy
- Akufo-Addo is packing EC with known NPP members – Kofi Adams
- 3 JoyNews journalists win big at Merck Foundation 2022 Media Recognition Awards
- I want to be President to build a new Ghana –Kwaku Kobeah
- Essence of marketing is creation of strong brands – Nsarkoh
- Christiana Awuni explains why ‘slay queens’ can’t quit having body enhancement surgeries
- Spend wisely, desist from expensive borrowing – GSE boss to government
- GOIL supports Appiatse Disaster Fund
- Headmasters can’t stop students from reporting to school over prospectus – Education Minister tells parents