Audio By Carbonatix
Striking tanker drivers have refused to return to work unless the awful roads leading to their depots are repaired, despite the plea of the Minister of Roads and Transportation.
The drivers declared a strike on Monday June 26, suspending deliveries and fuel distribution and threatening the businesses of over 4,000 outlets, with some already reporting shortages.
Minister of Roads and Highways, Kwesi Amoako Atta visited the drivers earlier in Tema, accompanied by Transport Minister, Kwaku Ofori Asiamah to promise them that the roads would be priority and to urge them to resume work.
“There is a contractor on site, the only challenge is that he is slow, but I want to assure you that the road has not been abandoned by the government, we will ensure that it is fixed.”
“We’ll meet again and this time invite the contractor so he will tell us when the work will be completed.”
“I admit the road is terrible, we will fix it, but on behalf of the government and on your own behalf, we will plead with you to exercise patience,” he said.
Their plea to the drivers, however, have been ignored and the Union insists it is not resuming until concrete actions are taken.
Vice President of the Tanker Drivers' Union, Sunday Alabi said this in an interview.
“Those are just words, we want to see action on the ground so that we go back to work.”
“We will give them time to fix the road, we can’t resume work now until proper work is done on the road, fixing is the same as shaping, shape it for us.”
“We talk about the safety aspect of it, the trucks coupling the trailer may roll over, that’s what we’re scared of, so we are talking about fixing it in a better state for us,” he said.
He added that, contrary to what the Minister said, there was no contractor on the road and that he only saw them bringing machines three days ago.
“The Minister mentioned there’s a contractor on this road but there’s no contractor on the road. We started the strike before they brought the machine three days ago,” he said.
Meanwhile, some gas and fuel station managers say they have no back up. They fear their operations will come to a halt if the situation is not rectified soon.
Latest Stories
-
Prince-Osei Owusu nominated for MLS All-Star Game after Montreal Player of the Month award
43 minutes -
AFCON U-17: Black Starlets beat South Africa 3-1 but await CAF draw of lots to determine fate
1 hour -
Spain midfielder Fermin Lopez ruled out of World Cup
3 hours -
Major-minor nations split in World Cup qualifying
4 hours -
Players to cut short French Open interviews in pay row
4 hours -
NATARAJ Art competition inspires young creativity in Ghana
4 hours -
Empty rooms and FIFA cancellations – US hotels fear World Cup washout
4 hours -
Prince William celebrates ‘amazing night’ as Villa fans party
4 hours -
Ebola vaccine could take nine months as death toll rises further, WHO warns
4 hours -
Money can be traced in GIIF ‘Sky Train’ case – Kow Essuman fires back at Deputy AG
4 hours -
25/26 UEFA Europa League: Unai Emery leads Aston Villa to first European trophy in 44 years
4 hours -
Southampton lose appeal against play-off expulsion
4 hours -
SkySat Technologies, Konica Minolta launch VIP Experience in Accra
5 hours -
Africa’s capital must power digital innovation and infrastructure – KGL Group Chair
5 hours -
Policy rate cuts won’t spur growth without cheaper bank loans – Economist
5 hours