The Ghana National Fire Service has appealed for the support of the district and municipal assemblies in the Volta Region to enhance the safety of lives and properties.
The Volta Regional Fire Commander, Assistant Fire Officer I, Joy Ameyibor Ayim, entreated the assemblies to establish bush fire control sub-committees and increase the number of fire stations and posts to augment fire fighting.
He was speaking at a ceremony to commemorate the International Firefighters Day in Ho.
He believes the above interventions would reduce the response time to emergencies and as well enhance proximity of fire fighters to the community.
ASO I Ayim used the opportunity to appeal to the public to support the Fire Service with vehicles, motorbikes, and bicycles.
“A well resourced Fire Service is a catalyst for an enhanced Public Safety,” he said.
He appreciated efforts of his officers and sister Services in combatting fire in the region and honoured the memory of ADOII Joseph Baidoo, who died during a rescue operation at Gomoa Oboasi.
The Volta Regional Minister, Dr Archibald Letsa, who graced the occasion, lauded the commitment of fire officers in the region.
He entreated them to deliver their duties “according to their protocols” and accept criticisms in good faith.
“Let’s all examine ourselves to make sure that we are doing the right thing.”
Dr Letsa lauded the roles and partnership between the Fire and Ambulance services in rescuing accident victims on roads in the region.
Some firefighters stationed in the Volta Region converged at the regional command to honour and mourn officers who had fallen in the line of duty to save life and property.
The occasion was also used to create awareness of the sacrifices of fire fighters, and the need to prevent fire outbreaks.
DOI Henry Gogovi, who is the most senior officer in the Volta Region, was honoured for his selfless service to firefighting.
Wreaths were laid for officers who lost their lives in the line of duty.
- Is IMANI now dictating to us how to run a country? – Gabby Otchere-Darko fumes
- SOEs who fail to present audited financial accounts to be sanctioned – Bawumia
- Ghanaians will soon praise us for going to IMF – Dr Afriyie Akoto
- As it happened: Kotoko dominates as Djiku wins Player of the Year award at Ghana Football Awards
- Ghana will be ungovernable if any IMF conditionality freezes wage increment – Prof Gyampo
- Photos: Akufo-Addo, Mahama and others mourn wife of late General Akuffo, Emily Akuffo
- Some Hajj pilgrims demand refund after being left stranded for hours
- 2022 Ghana Football Awards: Sadio Mane wins Best African International
- Food is expensive but there can never be food shortage – Agric Minister
- Samson’s Take: This will collapse a government in a serious country II
AGI CEO worried over scarcity of market-ready graduates
Livestream: The Law discusses justice delivery speediness
Throw out Deloitte’s factually deficient claims – Dram Oil to High Court
‘Mahama stuck by Seth Terkper’ – Gabby Otchere-Darko defends Ofori-Atta amid resignation calls
2022 Ghana Football Awards: Full list of winners
Some have made it their life mission to frustrate me – Barker-Vormawor
Some Hajj pilgrims demand refund after being left stranded for hours
IMF bailout will take pressure off Akufo-Addo to focus on positive things – Gabby Otchere-Darko
Photos: Akufo-Addo, Mahama and others mourn wife of late General Akuffo, Emily Akuffo
Amanda Ofori is out with a new single titled ‘Abba’
Adele: Emotion and simplicity are enough at comeback Hyde Park gig
Ghana will be ungovernable if any IMF conditionality freezes wage increment – Prof Gyampo
Samson’s Take: This will collapse a government in a serious country II
Manchester United: Cristiano Ronaldo wants to leave club this summer
Rafael Nadal apologises after Wimbledon third-round win ends on testy note