Audio By Carbonatix
Ghana’s Cocobod will use part of a $200 million World Bank loan to rehabilitate plantations destroyed by the cocoa swollen shoot virus, which causes drops in yields and kills trees, the regulator’s deputy Chief Executive in charge of operations said on Thursday.
The disease has wiped off about 500,000 hectares of farmlands and reduced cocoa output from the West African nation, the world’s second biggest cocoa producer after neighbour Ivory Coast.
Ghana’s output declined to 600,000 metric tons last year after peaking at 1.048 million tons in the 2020/21 season, as the cocoa swollen shoot virus, aging plantations, illegal mining and smuggling took a toll on the sector.
A total of $132.8 million of the loan secured by the government last year and the counterpart funding will finance Cocobod’s rehabilitation of farms and help to enhance knowledge on the virus strains, a project information document showed.
“The rehabilitation will take a minimum of five years to start getting economic production,” Cocobod’s Emmanuel Opoku told Reuters, adding that efforts had been hampered by the country’s economic crisis and the board’s limited funds.
The board will take over disease-infested farms, cut and replace sick cocoa trees, aiding growth to a fruiting stage before handing them back to farmers.
In 2018, Cocobod used part of a $600 million Africa Development Bank (AfDB) loan to rehabilitate aging plantations and those affected by the disease.
But the programme, originally meant to cover 156,000 hectares of plantations, was caught up in Ghana’s worst economic crisis in a generation during which inflation spiralled and the cedi currency depreciated sharply, Opoku said.
He said the AfDB facility benefited more than 88,000 hectares of farmlands, of which 40,000 hectares were ready to be given back to farmers in “the coming days”.
Alhassan Bukari, president of the country’s Cocoa, Coffee and Sheanut Farmers’ Association, told Reuters that rehabilitation efforts needed to be aggressive as many farmers were affected.
Ghana’s graded and sealed cocoa arrivals fell by 35% between the start of this season on Sept. 1 and Jan. 31 this year due to the intensity of the seasonal dry Harmattan wind and what Cocobod described as production challenges.
Latest Stories
-
Police arrest two watchmen over alleged defilement of 14-year-old student
1 minute -
The woman behind General Mosquito: Could Ghana be meeting its next First Lady?
2 minutes -
Court remands man over alleged Labone bank robbery attempt
6 minutes -
Supreme Court to rule today on challenge to legal vacation warrants
12 minutes -
Tamale Metropolitan Assembly distributes 10,000 bags of fertiliser to farmers
17 minutes -
TUSAAG suspends strike, resumes work after renewed talks with government
21 minutes -
PIAC marks 15 years of oil revenue accountability and transparency
28 minutes -
Adongo calls for non-political interference in $1.46bn Heritage Fund review
33 minutes -
FDA records GH¢70m surplus in 2025 amid concerns over ageing lab equipment
35 minutes -
Arise Ghana demands stronger commitment to end galamsey
37 minutes -
96% of Ghanaian pensioners willing to work beyond retirement age – Study
40 minutes -
Ghana gets nuclear power plant simulator
46 minutes -
Temporary Akosombo power control facility to be ready by September – Energy Ministry
47 minutes -
GMTF, Atlantic Lifesciences explore local production of cancer and heart medicines
51 minutes -
GHS medical-legal claims hit GH¢400m in three years
57 minutes