Audio By Carbonatix
The Western Regional Directorate of the Ghana Health Service (GHS), has so far administered about 290,000 doses of cholera vaccines out of a targeted 641,851 to persons aged one year and above within the first two days of its Cholera Vaccination campaign.
The campaign is being carried out within four identified hotspot areas in the region.Â
The campaign, which commenced on Sunday, December 15, and would end on Thursday, December 29, 2024, is aimed at offering immunity and protection against cholera infections for residents within Sekondi-Takoradi Metropolis, Effia-Kwesimintsim, Shama and Ahanta West municipalities.
Dr Nana Yaw Ofori Yeboah, the Western Regional Director of the GHS, who spoke to the Ghana News Agency (GNA) in an interview, said all persons from one year and above were eligible to take the vaccines, except pregnant women.
He stated that vaccines were safe with no health complications, and appealed to the targeted individuals to participate in the exercise to help stem the spread of cholera in the region.
He said as part of strategies to ensure they met their target the vaccination team would visit homes, schools, churches, mosques, workplaces, markets and other vantage points including healthcare facilities.
The cholera outbreak has been on the rise in the Western region with recent updates showing that 1,633 cases have been recorded since the outbreak, with about 15 deaths.
Aside from the vaccination campaign, health authorities have instituted various measures to contain the spread of the disease, including a ban on the sale of vegetables by food vendors.
This was after the Environmental Surveillance investigations revealed that about 96 per cent of cholera infections were linked to food vendors, particularly through the sale of contaminated vegetables.
Latest Stories
-
Ronaldinho seeks 300th goal with comeback aged 46
3 hours -
Your voice, your future – Opare Addo opens National Youth Forum 2026
3 hours -
GRA pushes data-driven tax administration to boost revenue mobilisation
4 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Presby SHS, Bompata crushes Sacred Heart’s hopes of reaching one-eighth stage
4 hours -
Africa Golf Tourism Convention opens in South Africa to unlock opportunities
4 hours -
BOGISS alleged sexual assault: Dr Apaak demands protection for autism victim
4 hours -
GTEC trains tertiary officials on new affiliation quality assurance framework
4 hours -
Luv FM High School Debate: OKESS, OSASS silence K’Wey Gey and KASS in fierce round of 16
4 hours -
Alcaraz to play US Open after four months out
4 hours -
Even if all foreigners leave, South Africa’s problems will remain – Dr Yamson blames state failure
4 hours -
Mahama announces GH¢500m district housing programme; rollout to begin this year
4 hours -
Energy Committee yet to receive July 29 blackout report – Adomako-Mensah
5 hours -
Five in six Ghana health facilities fall short of basic sanitation standard – WHO/UNICEF
5 hours -
Mohammed Fuseini in talks over Troyes move from Union SG
5 hours -
‘Bear with the system’ – Energy Ministry says temporary power control room to be ready by September
5 hours