Huge congratulations to Erling Haaland who is now City’s all-time top scorer in a single season.
Haaland moved on to a sensational 39 goals from 36 games across all competitions with his quintet in the 7-0 win over RB Leipzig.
This broke Tommy Johnson’s club record of 38 goals in a single season, which has stood for 94 years.
Johnson set it in 1928/29, across 40 matches, in a campaign which saw City finish eighth in the old Division One.
In total, Johnson played 355 games for the sky blues, scoring 166 goals across 11 seasons, which puts him third on the all-time scoring charts behind Sergio Aguero in first (260) and Eric Book in second (177).
Haaland now has the single season record, although there were other individual accolades attained by Haaland in the victory, which saw us progress into the quarter-finals of the Champions League for the sixth consecutive season.
Thanks to his quintet on Tuesday, Haaland has now scored five hat-tricks for City in all competitions this season, three more than any other player in Europe’s big five leagues and he’s the first Premier League player to score five hat-tricks in a season since Harry Kane in 2016/17.
They’ve come against Crystal Palace, Nottingham Forest, Manchester United, Wolves and now Leipzig.
He also became the third player to score five goals in a single Champions League game after Luiz Adriano in October 2014 (Shakhtar Donetsk v BATE Borisov) and Lionel Messi in March 2012 (Barcelona v Bayer Leverkusen).
He has scored 33 goals in 25 games in the Champions League, reaching the 30-goal milestone in fewer matches than any other player in the competition’s history.
In the process, he also became the youngest player to reach 30 goals in Champions League history at 22 years and 236 days.
And there’s three landmarks he’ll have in his sights going-forward too.
As well as aiming for team glory in the Premier League, Champions League and FA Cup, Haaland is also chasing down Mo Salah and Ruud van Nistelrooy, Cristiano Ronaldo and Alan Shearer across multiple milestones.
Salah and Van Nistelrooy have the most goals in one season across all competitions in the Premier League era with 44 in 2017/18 and 2002/03 respectively.
Haaland is sixth on that list and just five behind on 39, with Ronaldo (42) as well as Harry Kane and Andrew Cole (both 41) currently in front of him – but for how long?
Haaland has also now scored 10 goals in the Champions League this season, the most by a City player in a single season in the competition.
And now he’s eyeing up most goals ever in a single season in the illustrious European competition.
He’s seven goals behind Ronaldo, who sits on top with 17 from 2013/14.
The former Real Madrid, Man Utd and Juventus star is also second with 16 from 2015/16. Karim Benzema (2021/22) and Robert Lewandowski (2019/20) are third – again alongside Ronaldo (2017/18) – with 15 while Lionel Messi comes in sixth with 14 from 2011/12.
Lewandowski is seventh with 13 from 2021/22 while there are four players on 12 goals before Sebastien Haller (2021/22) and Messi (2016/17) with 11 goals.
Another target for Haaland is the most goals ever in a Premier League season.
Alan Shearer and Andrew Cole, 1994/95 and 1993/94 respectively, scored 34 across those two seasons and Haaland is moving up the charts on 28 goals – just six behind with a generous 11 games remaining.
Here’s to Erling continuing to hit the heights this season!
- Mobile Money transactions in only 2 months of 2023 hit ¢264.1bn
- We would all have sworn to Antoa if my dad was alive – Zanetor Rawlings
- I don’t know – Akufo-Addo on presence or otherwise of Al-Qaeda troops in Ghana
- Kamala Harris urges Ghana’s creditors to help meet debt obligation amid IMF talks
- Speculation that NDC imposed its decision on Minority Caucus is untrue – Sammy Gyamfi
- Popular American filmmaker Spike Lee is in Ghana
- T-Bills auction: sales undersubscribed by 23%; interest rates remain stable
- BoG increases policy rate to 29.5%; loans to remain expensive
- AFCON 2023Q: Osman Bukari salvages point for Black Stars against Angola
- We’re committed to helping Ghana resolve current economic crisis – China assures
- Harris’ visit should accelerate US-Ghana partnerships – Genser
- NDC’s ‘betrayal’ may have been the result of several factors – Dr. Seidu Alidu
- Taking pictures, videos of ballots was not a party directive – Murtala Mohammed
- NDC as a party did not fail Ghanaians – Kofi Adams
- There had been broad consultation, consensus to reject President’s ministerial nominees – Murtala Mohammed
- Israel Laryea is away “on loan” at Influencer Africa
- Patriotism won over partisanship – Annoh-Dompreh on approval of six ministerial nominees
- Playback: PM Express discuss NDCs betrayal
- Fight against galamsey will be won if Akufo-Addo loses power – Kwakye Ofosu
- People fail in life due to their mindset – Motivational speaker
- Become the voice of climate change reporting – Climate Change Fellows urged
- Destination Ghana Global Project announces This Is Africa Festival
- Kamala Harris features Black Sherif, Amaarae on Spotify playlist
- Kwaebibirem United FC to raise funds to support operation of the club
- 9-year-old Fotocopy makes history with two concerts in a day