Captain of the Black Stars, Andre Ayew, believes the penalty awarded to Ghana against South Africa was legitimate and the team could have got more than just one spot-kick.
Ghana beat South Africa by a lone goal at the Cape Coast stadium on Sunday, with Andre Ayew stepping up in the 33rd minute to convert from the spot.
The Black Stars were awarded a penalty after Daniel Amartey went to ground in the penalty box following a challenge from Rushine De Reuck.
The decision by the referee, Ndiaye Maguette, has been questioned by many as they deemed the call as being soft.
However, the Black Stars skipper, Ayew says it was an obvious penalty for his side, and feels they should have been awarded more than just one penalty.
“It was a clear penalty on [Amartey]. In fact, we had chances to get more penalties and should have been given two more,” Ayew said when asked about the penalty incident during the post-match conference.
The Al-Sadd forward also added that Ghana needed to more after creating a lot of chances against Bafana Bafana at the Cape Coast Stadium.
“I think we had more clear chances. Yes, it was a tough game but we won this game fair and square. We could have scored more,” he concluded.
Victory against South Africa means Ghana finishes as group leader in Group G, and advance to the playoffs of the 2022 FIFA World Cup qualifiers.
- Perez Chapel’s Agyinasare given 14 days to appear before Nogokpo traditional leaders
- Rastafarian student nearly rejected by Achimota School may represent them at NSMQ
- Lack of transparency and accountability may force us to cut support to School Feeding Programme – World Bank
- Can Gyekye-Quayson lawfully run as an MP in the Assin-North bye-election? (Kwaku Azar writes)
- Nottingham Forest release Andre Ayew
- ‘If NPP can get a consensus candidate, it’ll help us tremendously’ – Hackman
- 1V1D: Government spent averagely ¢670k on each of the ‘dried dams’ – Research
- Newly commissioned Catechist dies during Communion Service at Gowrie
- Man jailed 4 years for leaving fatally injured girlfriend in car
- GBC staff issue one-week ultimatum over cancelled allowances
- Accord Bawumia constitutional dignity – NPP flagbearer aspirants urged
- Anthrax outbreak: One reported dead, others infected at Binduri
- Chris Hughton is a great guy and we are excited to work under him – Tariq Lamptey
- Ghanaian now Mayor of Royal Borough of Greenwich, UK
- MSport Football Challenge: Road to final 2023
- BECE will not be cancelled – GES Boss
- British Vogue editor Edward Enninful steps down
- Ken Ofori-Atta sues Captain Smart ¢10m for defamation
- Deloitte Ghana’s volunteer day impacts 10,000 students
- Government committed to a swift revival of economy – Ofori-Atta to foreign investors
- Biden says debt ceiling deal averted ‘economic collapse’
- Livestream: Newsfile discusses Supreme Court ruling on Domelevo, NPP flagbearer race
- Soo, Wasipe hostilities: Mahama calls for urgent intervention of Overlords of Mamprugu and Gonjaland
- Comfort Yeboah
- Assin North by-election: NDC will not win with sympathy votes – Nana Boakye