The founder and leader of the All People’s Congress (APC) party, Dr Hassan Ayariga, has claimed that Korle-Bu Teaching Hospital (KBTH) has become a death trap for Ghanaians.
In an interview with Roselyn Felli on Prime Morning Monday, he indicated that patients are abandoned at night to battle for their lives as doctors and nurses leave at night and return the next morning.
He revealed how he and other patients were abandoned at the hospital at night, leading to the deaths of some individuals. His condition became severe before he was transferred to a different hospital.
“The doctors left the place by 11:30 pm. Patients were crying because their oxygen had finished. Mine got finished around 2 am, and no doctor or nurse came there until 5:30 am in the morning. So we were on our own from 11:30 pm to 5:30 am,” he said.
In addition, he said, “After three and a half days, Korle-Bu was now taking me to go and check my lungs when I was to be transferred to IMAH Hospital. My saturation was reduced from 85 to 65. I tell you Korle-Bu is a death trap,”
He stipulated that empty cylinders were provided even though he called for oxygen as some had finished.
Dr Hassan Ayariga believes the rate of negligence at the hospital is the major reason lives are lost every day.
Meanwhile, if elected President, he promised to rebuild and restructure the hospital’s management.
“I’ll refurbish and change the management of Korle-Bu. I’ll make sure that nurses and doctors there have to go for extra training because when you go there, people don’t really care because they see death every day,” he said.
The APC founder stated that negligence on the part of government has made Korle-Bu become the worst medical centre in Africa.
According to him, the government borrows money from foreigners to develop the country, yet institutions are mismanaged.
“There’s no control and monitoring in all institutions in this country, and that’s the reason why institutions in this country cannot pay workers. Government has to borrow. The reason why we have borrowed 341 billion and yet there’s nothing to show, “he stated.
However, Dr Hassan Ayariga has assured that incompetent employees will be sacked when he is elected as President.
- Review e-levy rate to 0.5% with ¢300 daily threshold – Minority tells government
- Government’s ban on use of V8s in Accra, a mere sloganeering – Dr Theo Acheampong
- MPs converge at Volta Serene Hotel for post-budget workshop
- One arrested, others on the run after allegedly murdering police officer
- After 5 years of repackaging, Skuuls Reunion returns today at El Wak Stadium
- Photos and videos: HITZ FM Skuuls Reunion underway at El Wak Sports Stadium
- Indonesian woman’s body found inside python, say reports
- Government must be commended for reducing e-levy rate – John Kumah
- Sights and sounds: ‘Jama’ session, exciting skaters kick-start Hitz Old Skuuls Reunion
- Ghana is not serious about social progression and inclusivity – Prof. Bokpin
- Kuami Eugene, Eno Barony and Keche climax HITZ Skuuls Reunion’s return
- British Council urges student’s under IAU Programme to become good entrepreneurs
- LUV FM’s morning show team distributes about 1,000 pieces of sanitary pads to needy girls
- Photos and videos: Artistes thrill patrons at HITZ Skuuls Reunion
- Mbappe scores twice as France reach knockout stage
- Messi scores in vital Argentina win over Mexico
- Tullow Ghana reaffirms commitment to grow indigenous capacities
- Ghana’s 2023 Budget: A Missed Opportunity
- I hope Afriyie Barnieh will be used in one of the games at the World Cup – Hearts of Oak General Manager
- VP Bawumia launches $450m Gulf of Guinea Social Cohesion Project
- Gov’t promises more support to Ghana Police
- BoG pegs cedi depreciation to dollar at 54%
- Ghana’s reserves fall to 2.9 months of import cover in October 2022; trade surplus hits $1.87bn
- Average lending rate hits 31.40% in October 2022 – BoG
- Lynx Entertainment unveils kids sensation Afrapa