Asante Kotoko have sacked coach Maxwell Konadu following their first defeat of the season at the hands of Great Olympics on Thursday.
The Porcupine Warriors failed to impress as they lost 1-0 in the Ghana Premier League outstanding fixture in Accra.
Assistant coach Johnson Smith will take charge of the team on an interim basis whilst the club decide on a replacement.
“Management of Asante Kotoko Sporting Club wishes to inform the general public that it has decided to part ways with Coach Maxwell Konadu as its Head Coach with immediate effect. Coach Johnson Smith has been appointed to lead the team in the interim,” Kotoko announced on Twitter.
Konadu returned for his second stint last year. In Konadu’s first stint with the Porcupine Warriors, he won the league comfortably, finishing 14 points ahead of neighbours AshantiGold to clinch their 22nd league title in their history.
In the 30 matches played, Konadu’s side won 18, drawing nine and losing just three.
However, his second coming was nowhere near the first as the former Black Stars B coach struggled for form.
After being appointed in 2019, Konadu has overseen 20 games as Kotoko boss winning just nine of those, drawing seven and losing four.
Kotoko play Dreams FC at Dawu before they host Al Hilal in the second preliminary round of the CAF Champions League.
- Playback: Akufo-Addo delivers 25th address on measures taken against Covid-19
- Cameron Duodu: Sɛbe o, tafrakyɛ, na ‘Ɔte K’ɔkɔɔ Soɔ’ deɛ, yɛbɔ n’ano sɛn? – With all due respect, how can the occupant of the Golden Stool be silenced?
- Fuel prices to go up again – Chamber of Petroleum Consumers Ghana
- Kokomba warriors kill human-attacking antelopes
- Taskforce destroys excavators allegedly belonging to NPP Women’s Organiser
- 23-year-old arrested for attempting to sacrifice his nephew for money rituals
- 2nd dose of Covid-19 vaccines to be deployed from May 19 – Akufo-Addo
- Full text: Akufo-Addo’s 25th address on measures to deal with Covid-19 pandemic
- African Ministers of Health endorse and support Africa Common Position on Covid-19 passport
- Hologram, QR Code to authenticate full vaccination status of Ghanaians
1975 Sekondi College year group visits alma mater
Authorities of Cape Coast School for the Deaf and Blind appeal for infrastructural support
Classroom block for Islamic School commissioned in Akatsi North
DR Congo: 30 sentenced to death over anti-police clashes
PPP backs calls for independent probe into alleged assault of Caleb Kudah
Bawumia endorses Ghana’s candidate for Commonwealth Youth Council
Livestream: 5th edition Ghana CEO Summit
Mahama’s ‘dumsor’ is different from Akufo-Addo’s – Kweku Awotwi
GIPC hints of 5 years tax holidays for aquaculture investors
PharmAccess’ Dr Maxwell Antwi appointed to UHC2030 Advisory Group
Assault on journalists: Media Groups call for restructuring of National Security agency among others
Dr. Adoma Dwomo-Fokuo Odame: Dear Sam George, red is the only colour that matters
Miss Universe contestants unveil protest messages in politically charged pageant
Galamsey: Desilting and dredging of the Offin river underway
Enhance babies’ food with micronutrient powder – Nutrition Officer