Ghana, being one of the most passionate places for world football, hosted a very special event on Sunday, October 24, 2021, and the most popular match in football history was hosted by the Spanish Embassy in collaboration with LaLiga.
The event which was held at the Residence of the Ambassador of Spain in Accra had fans, journalists, and members of the diplomatic corps, ex Black Stars midfielder, Derek Boateng, and ex Nigerian midfielder and LaLiga Ambassador, Mutiu Adepoju in attendance.
The event was moderated by JoySports’ Gary Al-Smith.
Welcoming guests to the event, the Ambassador of Spain to Ghana, Javier Gutierrez, emphasized that the event represents the shared love of football by Spaniards and Ghanaians. He added: ‘The passion for football is something that unites both our countries and people, we are happy that LaLiga is in Ghana, as they are part of our sports diplomacy and are prominent ambassadors of our culture and brand. Through LaLiga, we intend to promote more cooperation between Spanish and Ghanian Football, and I hope we will see in Spanish team play in Ghana soon.’.
Nadim Ghanem-Pares, President of the Spain Ghana Chamber of Commerce encouraged Ghanaian companies to look at possible trade ties with Spain and by extension, LaLiga. ‘Geographically, Spain is the European Country closest to Ghana, and we cannot forget our wonderful football that unites us so much to Ghana, because we know LaLiga is enjoyed so much over here, and we believe LaLiga will have a fantastic experience rolling out its project here with our support’.
Also speaking at the event, the LaLiga Global Network Delegate for Ghana and Nigeria, Desmond Chiji expressed the importance of Ghana to LaLiga. ‘Ghana has a very valuable place in the LaLiga ecosystem. We have been motivated in holding an event for ElClasico, for which we created a new brand identity. The interest we received has exceeded our expectations. We would like to thank football fans, participants, media organizations, and members of the media for this achievement. As LaLiga, we will continue to strengthen our bond with football fans in the coming period.”
Guests at the event were treated to a private viewing of El Clásico which saw Barcelona losing 1-2 to Real Madrid Barcelona.
The event was supported by the Embassy of Spain Accra and its Commercial Office, Spain Ghana Chamber of Commerce, Budweiser, GB Foods, and Supersport.
- 16 feared dead, over 40 injured in Gomoa Okyereko accident on Accra-Cape Coast highway
- Supreme Court ‘cautions and discharges’ NDC’s Kpessa Whyte after convicting him for contempt
- Pressure mounts on cedi; loses 9% in value to dollar last week
- Nigeria: Hilton Hotel owner, two workers sentenced to death for murder of student
- Bawumia picks NPP flagbearer nomination form
- AFCON 2023Q: Nuamah included, Sowah dropped as Hughton names Ghana squad to face Madagascar
- Parliament writes to EC, declares Assin North seat vacant
- 2023 U23 AFCON: Kamaldeen Sulemana to be called up to Black Meteors squad for tournament
- Learn your trade, don’t force a move from Ajax – Liverpool legend advises Ghana star Mohammed Kudus
- 14-yrs after former IGP Kudalor’s bodyguard ‘vanished’, his mother seeks closure
- Fire burns Madina-Ritz junction again
- UCC’s Prof David Teye Doku named best Social Sciences and Humanities Scientist in Ghana
- Prof Gyampo slams Akufo-Addo over presidency’s request for CVs of senior EC officials
- Petrol, diesel prices to stay same; LPG to go down 5% – IES
- Prudential Life Insurance targets informal sector with ‘Mekakrawa’ insurance policy
- STEM education: Afia Kobi SHS students build model aircraft to aid maritime surveillance
- Cigar smoked by Sir Winston Churchill nearly 80 years ago up for auction
- Bofoakwa Tano seal Ghana Premier League return after beating Eleven Wonders on penalties
- National Cathedral: We need $100m to import steel for work to proceed – Dr Opoku Mensah
- Black Stars face USA in friendly on October 17
- US Ambassador to Malta pays courtesy call on Ghana’s High Commissioner to Malta, Barbara Benisa
- Authorities must probe Gomoa Okyereko accident to prevent future occurrences – Afenyo-Markin
- My husband thinks I ‘tricked him into marriage’ because I postponed our baby plans to take a 6-figure job
- NDC has rolled out plans to retain Assin North seat – Mustapha Gbande
- Mother-in-law interrupts gender reveal to hug son before he can congratulate his pregnant wife