For government to realise more revenues for its policies and programs and to get the economy out of the current crisis it finds itself in, there is the need to pay particular attention to digitalisation and digitisation, according to economist, Dr Adu Owusu Sarkodie.
“Government can get so much revenues if it leverages on digitalisation and digitisation. Marry digitisation and revenue collection to ensure revenue leakages” the lecturer with the Department of Economics, University of Ghana said.
“Tax certificates must be presented before essential services like passports, driver’s licenses, etc are acquired” he added.
Dr Sarkodie also pointed out the tax sectors that are growing fast. He mentioned the service, industrial and agric sectors as areas that would give government so much revenue.
He also urged government to focus attention on some key sources of revenue generation.
“Property rates and tax exemption bill should be accelerated. Property rates can rake in ¢16 billion annually. ¢8 billion can also be realised from the informal sector” he opined.
Tax exemptions, he observed, can be cut by ¢5 billion to help reduce pressures on government’s finances.
Dr Sarkodie expressed these sentiments during the Danquah Institute’s Economic Forum which took place at the ISSER building at the University of Ghana, Legon on Friday, December 9, 2022.
The forum was also attended by Dr George Domfeh, Dr Kwadwo Opoku with Professor Eric Osei Assibey as chairman.
- Akufo-Addo swears in 3 new members of Electoral Commission
- ECG disconnects power to Ho Airport, GRA over debt
- Fella Makafui reacts after Twitter user accuses her of ‘sleeping’ with Medikal’s ex-manager
- Overborrowing is one of Akufo-Addo’s biggest mistakes – Prof Adei
- ‘Western Togoland’: 5 secessionists handed 5 years in jail each
- Ludacris hangs out with Sarkodie in Ghana, fans speculate new music
- Ghana v Angola: Kingsley Schindler replaces injured Tariq Lamptey
- Cedi may record mixed performance to dollar this week
- GALLERY: Best pictures from Black Stars training at Accra Sports Stadium on Monday
- Putin says ties with Africa a priority to Moscow
- ECG mass disconnection campaign to be sustained indefinitely – Samuel Mahama
- We’ll meter all distribution transformers to fight power theft – Samuel Mahama
- Former Accra Regional Hospital Medical Director files nomination for Garu
- AFCON 2023Q: Goalpost collapses and injures Wollacott in training
- Ugandan parliament passes bill to jail gay people
- Ghana’s economy is still afloat because of Alan Kyerematen’s vision – Buaben Asamoah
- Intimidation of journalists is on the rise – Kweku Andoh Awotwi
- I have already won Ayawaso West Wuogon NDC primaries – Fred Nuamah
- Playback: One-one-on with Managing Director of ECG on PM Express
- EC has become an annex of the NPP – Sammy Gyamfi
- If you move right, you don’t need 10 shows to be okay – Kelvyn Boy
- Akufo-Addo is packing EC with known NPP members – Kofi Adams
- 3 JoyNews journalists win big at Merck Foundation 2022 Media Recognition Awards
- I want to be President to build a new Ghana –Kwaku Kobeah
- Essence of marketing is creation of strong brands – Nsarkoh