The Dean of the University of Professional Studies, Accra (UPSA) Law School, Professor Ernest Kofi Abotsi, has expressed concerns over the near-fight incident that happened on Friday among some MPs.
Taking to social media, he expressed the view that the clash between the Majority and Minority in Parliament reinforced the perception that the legislature is pushing itself into irrelevance.
According to him, the situation is even more worrying as Ghanaians are the ultimate losers.
Earlier in Parliament, a photo used by the Majority Caucus in Parliament on the issue of tidal waves, which has devasted communities in the Volta Region, nearly started a fight between the two sides at a press conference.
Deputy Majority Leader, Alexander Afenyo-Markin showed a photo of scenes from the disaster caused by the tidal waves to the press. But former Energy Minister, Emmanuel Armah Kofi Buah and South Dayi MP, Rockson Nelson Dafiamekpor started heckling him.
According to them, Mr. Afenyo-Markin was misinforming the media with the picture.
The clash occurred towards the end of the presser when the Bole Bamboi MP, Yusif Sulemana came to snatch the image from Afenyo-Markin, and handed it over to Dafeamekpor.
Nhyeaso MP, Stephen Amoah, then followed up to retrieve the image from Mr Nelson Dafeamekpor. This led to the clash.
Mr Afenyo-Markin was then seen asking Mr Rockson Dafeamekpor to hand over the image to him.
The latter obliged and Afenyo Markin left.
Rockson-Nelson Dafeamekpor subsequently apologized to Deputy Majority Leader, Alexander Afenyo-Markin over the clash, admitting that he erred.
- 2 nursing trainees die in gory accident at Asankragua
- Police hunt for gunmen after rescuing trapped baby from snatched car in Kumasi
- Chilling account of how policeman was killed, assailant shot dead in Bono Region
- Moesha Boduong returns to social media after several months of silence
- Marriage by proxy is legitimate under Customary Law – Lawyer
- Police commiserate with families and victims of Atico accident
- ‘We all have 24 hours, establish yourself and stop hating successful people for nothing’ – Tracey Boakye
- Novak Djokovic: Tennis star deported after losing Australia visa battle
- Worker unions fear more job losses as local companies halt production over benchmark values
- Withdrawal of Speaker’s military attachment politically motivated – Minority
Wealth of world’s 10 richest men doubled in pandemic – Oxfam
Body of officer killed in Bono Region arrives at Police Headquarters
Enterprise Life holds 20th anniversary thanksgiving service
Sudan removes Al Jazeera Live’s TV licence
We have impacted over 8.5 million lives impacted so far – Head of Vodafone Ghana Foundation
Ghana Basektball Association complete first phase of national team draft
GPL Week 13 Wrap: Kordzi scores doubles in Wonders demolition, Danlad saves Kotoko
Akufo-Addo commended for extending PSRL to end of January 2022
Today’s front pages: Monday, January 17, 2022
Ghana does not face imminent external imbalances; economic fundamentals strong – Finance Minister
GRA hits 2021 revenue target with ¢57. 32bn; highest growth in 10 years
Message from the Morning Man: Say no to abortion
AFCON Day 8 Wrap: Equatorial Guinea shock Algeria, Ivory Coast and Mali held
Customer complaints of banks, other financial institutions dropped 27.87% in half-year 2021 – BoG
Ghanaians should tone down on negativity against Black Stars – Lepowura Jawula