Audio By Carbonatix
At least 11 women have been killed and many more injured in a stampede in Afghanistan, officials have said.
A provincial spokesman said the stampede took place after "thousands of people" gathered to apply for a visa to Pakistan.
The crowd had been redirected to a sports stadium instead of the usual visa centre in the city of Jalalabad.
Afghanistan: Many killed and wounded in visa stampede https://t.co/h44A84uUhr pic.twitter.com/lMRRd1leMr
— Global Issues Web (@globalissuesweb) October 21, 2020
Visa applications to Pakistan have just resumed after a seven-month pause due to the pandemic.
"The visa applicants jostled to secure their token from the consulate officials," an official in Jalalabad said, according to Reuters.
"The crowd got out of control, leading to a stampede."
In the conservative Muslim society of Afghanistan, it is common that women and men queue separately.
It is thought a number of other women and elderly people have also been injured.

Many Afghans travel each year to neighbouring Pakistan to visit relatives, seek medical treatment, find jobs or escape the ongoing violence in their own country.
Expecting a large number of applicants after the long pause of the visa service, the Pakistani consulate in the eastern province of of Nangarhar, directed the crowd to a nearby football stadium.
"Unfortunately this morning tens of thousands of people had come to the football stadium which led to the tragic incident," the provincial governor's spokesman Attaullah Khogyani told AFP news agency.
Latest Stories
-
NSMQ 2026: Kpando SHS brush aside Abor, Jukwa to storm One-Eighth stage with 32 point gap
21 minutes -
Duncan Amoah: Gov’t should create conditions for 24-hour economy, not build markets
27 minutes -
JoyNews-Republic Bank Habitat Fair finale turns homeownership dreams into real possibilities
1 hour -
Bamiri chief commissions KG block, guest house to boost education and revenue
1 hour -
NSMQ 2026: Yaa Asantewaa Girls’ going ‘beck’ to Tanoso after Bishop Herman deals them early exit
2 hours -
Data Protection Commission acquires two vehicles to strengthen data protection enforcement
2 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Holy Child School storms back from two-year NSMQ absence to book One-Eighth ticket
3 hours -
GNFS dismisses reports of unpaid 2025 rent allowance
5 hours -
Gordon Asare-Bediako steps down from NPP Communications Director race, backs Dennis Aboagye
5 hours -
GES dismisses requirement for newly promoted teachers to submit documents for salary adjustments
5 hours -
Meko Bono 2026: Vice President pledges agricultural revival as Atebubu hosts grand homecoming
6 hours -
Russian skydiver Sergey Boytcov sets world record with 11,551-metre stratosphere jump
6 hours -
Ablakwa-led committee submits five reports to Mahama ahead of 2027 AU chairmanship
6 hours -
Africa not seeking Western cash in reparations campaign – Ablakwa
6 hours -
Production decline, reserve depletion threaten Ghana’s upstream sector – Jinapor
6 hours