Audio By Carbonatix
The Minister of Lands and Natural Resources, Samuel Abu Jinapor has assured of government's commitment to protecting the country's natural resources.
According to the sector Minister, records have shown that previous governments have been complacent in the fight against "galamsey" after chalking some successes. This challenge, he said, will not be repeated by the Akufo-Addo-led government.
Speaking on GBC Breakfast Show on Tuesday, Mr Jinapor disclosed that government will this year, enhance measures put in place to fight illegal mining.

"The most important aspect of the effort of the government, for that matter, the Ministry of Lands and Natural Resources, is that all the measures we are putting in place are going to be sustained. We are not going to relent.
What has happened in the past, I don't mean the past that has to do with President Akufo-Addo's administration alone, but in the long past, you have the measures put in place and within a year or two, then the momentum is lost and people look away, then there is a resurgence of illegal mining.
We are going to be relentless, totally committed and this year, all the measures we have put in place are going to be enhanced," he assured.
Meanwhile, the Damongo legislator says the NPP government has made some gains in the galamsey fight since assuming office in 2017.
“We will also have to admit that we have made considerable gains and we have gotten to a point where we can reasonably be encouraged that a better framework and the building blocks have been put in place to deal with this menace.

“I’m talking about matters to do with how you acquire licenses, whether you do that online, the whole issue of community mining, inspectorate division of the Minerals Commission, issues to do with exploration for mineralized concessions."
Nonetheless, Mr. Jinapor admitted that government is not satisfied with what has been achieved so far. Thus, it will strengthen its efforts.
“We are not out of the woods yet. We have not gotten to a satisfactory stage yet. We have not gotten to a situation we can say that we have a full grip on the issue of illegal small scale mining in our country.
“I’ll be the first to admit that it wouldn’t take 4,5, 8 or 10 years to rid our country of illegal scale mining completely,”
Latest Stories
-
Ronaldinho seeks 300th goal with comeback aged 46
4 hours -
Your voice, your future – Opare Addo opens National Youth Forum 2026
4 hours -
GRA pushes data-driven tax administration to boost revenue mobilisation
4 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Presby SHS, Bompata crushes Sacred Heart’s hopes of reaching one-eighth stage
4 hours -
Africa Golf Tourism Convention opens in South Africa to unlock opportunities
4 hours -
BOGISS alleged sexual assault: Dr Apaak demands protection for autism victim
4 hours -
GTEC trains tertiary officials on new affiliation quality assurance framework
4 hours -
Luv FM High School Debate: OKESS, OSASS silence K’Wey Gey and KASS in fierce round of 16
4 hours -
Alcaraz to play US Open after four months out
4 hours -
Even if all foreigners leave, South Africa’s problems will remain – Dr Yamson blames state failure
5 hours -
Mahama announces GH¢500m district housing programme; rollout to begin this year
5 hours -
Energy Committee yet to receive July 29 blackout report – Adomako-Mensah
5 hours -
Five in six Ghana health facilities fall short of basic sanitation standard – WHO/UNICEF
5 hours -
Mohammed Fuseini in talks over Troyes move from Union SG
6 hours -
‘Bear with the system’ – Energy Ministry says temporary power control room to be ready by September
6 hours