Lionel Messi scored twice and missed a penalty as Barcelona came from behind to move within two points of La Liga leaders Atletico Madrid.
Ex-Arsenal man Gabriel headed Valencia in front only for Messi to miss from the spot but convert the rebound.
Antoine Griezmann put Barca ahead and Messi clipped in a trademark free-kick before Carlos Soler’s screamer gave Valencia vain hope.
Barca host leaders Atletico next Saturday at the Nou Camp.
Third-placed Barcelona are level on points with arch rivals Real but beneath them in the table because Real have won both El Clasico games this season.
A shock defeat at home to Granada last time out had left little room for error in Barca’s quest to regain the title.
And Gabriel’s thumping header just after half-time piled further pressure onto Ronald Koeman’s side.
It took a lackadaisical penalty from Messi to spark them into life.
Jasper Cillessen pulled off a tremendous save from Messi’s spot-kick only for the Argentine to pounce for the equaliser in the ensuing scramble.
Frenkie de Jong’s header was then brilliantly turned aside by Cillessen but this time Griezmann was on hand to convert from close range.
Barca’s final goal was vintage Messi, a whipped free-kick that kissed the inside of the post and nestled in the far corner.
It was arguably not the best goal of the night with Soler’s fine strike from distance almost dragging Valencia back into it, but Koeman’s team held on.
- 16 feared dead, over 40 injured in Gomoa Okyereko accident on Accra-Cape Coast highway
- Supreme Court ‘cautions and discharges’ NDC’s Kpessa Whyte after convicting him for contempt
- Pressure mounts on cedi; loses 9% in value to dollar last week
- Nigeria: Hilton Hotel owner, two workers sentenced to death for murder of student
- Bawumia picks NPP flagbearer nomination form
- AFCON 2023Q: Nuamah included, Sowah dropped as Hughton names Ghana squad to face Madagascar
- Parliament writes to EC, declares Assin North seat vacant
- 2023 U23 AFCON: Kamaldeen Sulemana to be called up to Black Meteors squad for tournament
- Learn your trade, don’t force a move from Ajax – Liverpool legend advises Ghana star Mohammed Kudus
- 14-yrs after former IGP Kudalor’s bodyguard ‘vanished’, his mother seeks closure
- Fire burns Madina-Ritz junction again
- UCC’s Prof David Teye Doku named best Social Sciences and Humanities Scientist in Ghana
- Prof Gyampo slams Akufo-Addo over presidency’s request for CVs of senior EC officials
- Petrol, diesel prices to stay same; LPG to go down 5% – IES
- Prudential Life Insurance targets informal sector with ‘Mekakrawa’ insurance policy
- STEM education: Afia Kobi SHS students build model aircraft to aid maritime surveillance
- Cigar smoked by Sir Winston Churchill nearly 80 years ago up for auction
- Bofoakwa Tano seal Ghana Premier League return after beating Eleven Wonders on penalties
- National Cathedral: We need $100m to import steel for work to proceed – Dr Opoku Mensah
- Black Stars face USA in friendly on October 17
- US Ambassador to Malta pays courtesy call on Ghana’s High Commissioner to Malta, Barbara Benisa
- Authorities must probe Gomoa Okyereko accident to prevent future occurrences – Afenyo-Markin
- My husband thinks I ‘tricked him into marriage’ because I postponed our baby plans to take a 6-figure job
- NDC has rolled out plans to retain Assin North seat – Mustapha Gbande
- Mother-in-law interrupts gender reveal to hug son before he can congratulate his pregnant wife