Some supporters of the National Democratic Congress in Tamale in the Northern Region have massed up at the party’s regional office over the surprising shake-up in the party’s parliamentary leadership.
JoyNews’ Regional Correspondent, Martina Bugri reports that the supporters say the decision will not augur well for the party. They want the leadership of the party to rescind the decision or face their wrath.
In a terse message announcing the changes on Tuesday, the party said Dr. Cassiel Ato Forson takes over from Haruna Iddrisu as the Minority Leader, while Ellembelle MP, Kofi Armah Boah replaces James Klutse Avedzi as Deputy Minority Leader.
In a statement signed by NDC General Secretary Fifi Kwetey, Kwame Agbodza becomes the Chief Whip for the opposition side and will be deputised by Banda MP, Ahmed Ibrahim and Ada legislator, Comfort Doyo Ghansah respectively.
The former Minority Leader, Haruna Iddrisu and Chief Whip, Muntaka Mubarak has been in Parliament for close to 20 years. Thus, their removal is being opposed by Tamale Central MP who believes the party is only bringing in inexperienced legislators to steer the affairs of the Minority Caucus.
He said the party ought to have consulted the leadership in Parliament before taking such a decision.
“The timing is completely wrong. What is the basis of changing our parliamentary leadership?”, Murtala Mohammed decried.
“They are only taking away the most experienced leaders and bringing the less experienced ones. Nobody told them we are dissatisfied with the leadership.
“Who told them we are unhappy with their performance?”, the disgruntled lawmaker quizzed.
- Medical Doctor gets emotional on Joy FM over debt exchange
- Black Stars’ Christian Atsu reportedly missing after earthquake in Turkey
- Haruna Iddrisu accepts changes in Minority leadership
- Turkey earthquakes: Christian Atsu found – Turkish media confirm
- ‘God, please’ – Asamoah Gyan prays for Christian Atsu, other celebs join
- Muntaka accepts Minority leadership reshuffle after meeting with Mahama
- Let’s continue to pray for Christian Atsu – Mahama to Ghanaians
- It is sad BoG unlawfully printed $3.3bn for government – IEA Director of Research
- Yul Edochie’s first wife threatens to sue actress over photoshopped image with Judy Austin
- Ankaful Psychiatric Hospital offers free treatment to former ‘NSMQ shark’
- Glory to God – Social media users rejoice after Christian Atsu found alive
- Put hefty taxes on alcohol, cigarettes to generate funds money to fight cancer
- Total household spending falls by 11% in 2022 – UK-Ghana Chamber of Commerce survey
- NDC to consider reforms for selecting leaders in Parliament – National Council of Elders
- We want to make VAR interventions more understandable for spectators – Pierluigi Collina
- 2022/23 betPawa PL: Mukwala nets brace as Kotoko run riot against Accra Lions
- Parliament resumes from recess today
- ‘You are free to sign DDEP is not the same as exemption’ – Dr Adu Anane Antwi
- Ghana Gas to build second Processing Plant; 1.5k jobs assured
- Remarkable progress with ongoing IMF programme is significant to recovery efforts; momentum must be sustained – Ofori-Atta
- The origin of Hiplife: How rapping in Twi ‘blew people’s minds’
- Family of Thomas Sankara boycotts burial plans
- Court reinstates sacked anti-corruption chief
- Poverty main reason driving terrorism in Africa – UN
- T-bills: Government to raise ¢2.76bn this week