Neymar congratulated the wrong team after Paris Saint-Germain’s loss to Bayern Munich in the Champions League final.
PSG failed to add an elusive piece of silverware to their collection after being beaten 1-0 by Bayern at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on Sunday.
Thomas Tuchel’s men created the clearer openings in a tense first half, but Manuel Neuer kept out efforts from Neymar and Kylian Mbappe to ensure that the teams went in level at the interval.
Bayern dominated possession throughout the 90 minutes, and eventually found a way through PSG’s stubborn rearguard in the 59th minute as Kingsley Coman headed home a beautifully flighted Joshua Kimmich cross.
Hansi Flick’s side held on a for a victory which saw them complete the treble, emulating the achievements of Jupp Heynckes’ class of 2012-13.
Neymar was overcome with emotion after the final whistle, and although David Alaba sportingly attempted to console his opponent, the Brazilian’s tears flowed as the reality of the defeat began to sink in.
The world’s most expensive player eventually composed himself enough to send out a tweet congratulating Bayern on their victory, but was left red-faced after forgetting to type the final letter of the team’s name.
Neymar ended up paying tribute to Bayer Leverkusen by mistake, as he stated: “Losing is part of the sport, we try everything, we fight until the end. Thank you for the support and affection of each one of you and CONGRATULATIONS to BAYER.”
Leverkusen issued a swift response to the PSG star via their official Twitter account, which reads: “Obrigado @neymarjr. I’m not sure why you congratulate me if I’m on vacation playing FIFA, but thanks.”
Tuchel jumped to the defence of Neymar and Mbappe after their off-night in front of goal, as he told RMC Sport post-match: “We’ve lacked efficiency. We want Kylian and Neymar to score all the time. I’m proud because Ney had another amazing game. He showed his abilities, his mentality.
- 3 ECG employees charged for stealing ¢2.1m prepaid credits
- Yul Edochie and wife May lose first son
- No one from Ghana’s film industry approached me while I was here – Spike Lee
- Martin Amidu on Anas: ‘Genuine anti-corruption crusaders don’t hide behind masks’
- Power outages imminent as Ghana Gas shuts down Atuabo gas processing plant from April 1
- Davido confirms he’s married to Chioma
- Ambulance case: Court orders Ato Forson to open defence
- Parliamentary committee recommends passage of controversial Anti-LGBTQ bill
- Political appointees at Presidency increases to 361
- Ashanti NDC refutes allegations of wearing military uniforms on campaign tour
- Dogboe v Ramirez – Dogboe’ s trainer chasing history
- Donald Trump indictment: Ex-US president to be charged over hush money
- WMO retires deadly cyclone Fiona and Ian from list of names
- 5 member committee investigating Kejetia Market fire starts with fact-finding mission
- UBA Ghana holds first quarter ‘Jogging To Bond’
- Playback: PM Express discuss how to restore capital market after DDEP
- Kuami Eugene offers budding musicians tips for Joy Prime’s ‘Cues & Lyrics’ audition
- Mercy Chinwo threatens musician with ₦2bn lawsuit after he used her name in song
- Mastercard Foundation Health Collaborative allocates $1 million for prospective entrepreneurs
- We’ll pay outstanding debt despite inheriting it – Electrochem
- Lawyer for Jonathan Majors shares alleged texts from woman involved in actor’s assault arrest
- Inaki is not scoring for Ghana because he plays with a No.10 who loves to score – Ignatius Osei Fosu
- Desist from gifting out cedi bouquets, hampers; it is illegal – BoG warns
- Pass outstanding revenue bills – Youth in Accountable Governance to Parliament
- Joint Paper by KAIPTC researchers wins global prize