Neymar congratulated the wrong team after Paris Saint-Germain’s loss to Bayern Munich in the Champions League final.
PSG failed to add an elusive piece of silverware to their collection after being beaten 1-0 by Bayern at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on Sunday.
Thomas Tuchel’s men created the clearer openings in a tense first half, but Manuel Neuer kept out efforts from Neymar and Kylian Mbappe to ensure that the teams went in level at the interval.
Bayern dominated possession throughout the 90 minutes, and eventually found a way through PSG’s stubborn rearguard in the 59th minute as Kingsley Coman headed home a beautifully flighted Joshua Kimmich cross.
Hansi Flick’s side held on a for a victory which saw them complete the treble, emulating the achievements of Jupp Heynckes’ class of 2012-13.
Neymar was overcome with emotion after the final whistle, and although David Alaba sportingly attempted to console his opponent, the Brazilian’s tears flowed as the reality of the defeat began to sink in.
The world’s most expensive player eventually composed himself enough to send out a tweet congratulating Bayern on their victory, but was left red-faced after forgetting to type the final letter of the team’s name.
Neymar ended up paying tribute to Bayer Leverkusen by mistake, as he stated: “Losing is part of the sport, we try everything, we fight until the end. Thank you for the support and affection of each one of you and CONGRATULATIONS to BAYER.”
Leverkusen issued a swift response to the PSG star via their official Twitter account, which reads: “Obrigado @neymarjr. I’m not sure why you congratulate me if I’m on vacation playing FIFA, but thanks.”
Tuchel jumped to the defence of Neymar and Mbappe after their off-night in front of goal, as he told RMC Sport post-match: “We’ve lacked efficiency. We want Kylian and Neymar to score all the time. I’m proud because Ney had another amazing game. He showed his abilities, his mentality.
- We will not allow any religious group to plunge Ghana into chaos – Muntaka
- Kwabena Agyepong welcomed back to NPP after 6 years suspension
- One feared dead, several others injured after accident at Legon underpass
- Manu, who delayed Ghana’s 4x100m baton, had never received one – Coach
- Citi FM journalist, Caleb Kudah allegedly picked up by National Security operatives
- SALL kicks against EC’s decision to amend C.I. for them to vote in 2024
- Leadership crisis at Ghana Rugby: Chairman Herbert Mensah suspended indefinitely, set to be removed from office on June 8
- Former British High Commissioner to Ghana, Craig Murray jailed for contempt in the UK
- Ghana drops to 95th in 2021 World Happiness ranking
- Dr Mavis Owureku Asare: Wesley Girls’ no fast policy is not about religion
Akufo-Addo is not against mining, he is helping to improve it – Lands Minister
Pupils travel 3 hours barefoot on muddy road to school in Accra
Military not harassing legal miners – Dominic Nitiwul
2021 Wolves Cup to be launched on Wednesday
Israel: Hamas launches rocket attack on Tel Aviv
Military taskforce deployed to fight illegal mining facing local resistance – Defense Minister
Manchester City win Premier League title after Manchester United lose to Leicester
Soyuncu’s header gives Leicester win at Man Utd to hand Man City title
3 communities in Krachi East Municipality calls on government for portable water
3 police officers, others remanded for alleged secret burial
Decision to reinstate Kwabena Agyepong was unanimous – Freddie Blay
Military fight illegal miners in ‘Operation Halt’
One feared dead, several others injured after accident at Legon underpass
Citi FM journalist, Caleb Kudah allegedly picked up by National Security operatives
Our scholars in Cuba are broke because they insist on table-top payment – GNPC Foundation