Prempeh College will begin their title defence on Sunday, October 16, 2022, in the ninth contest of the elimination stages in the ongoing National Science and Maths Quiz (NSMQ).
The champions face an old foe bent on revenge.
The Kumasi-based school clinched their fourth title in 2017 after beating St. Thomas Aquinas in a close contest in Accra.
St. Thomas Aquinas, who were denied their second title in that grand finale which went to the wire, has since failed to make a convincing impression worth their status.
They have suffered successive defeats at the one-eighth stage of the competition which relegates them to the regional qualifiers. One of those defeats came at the hands of Prempeh College, in a failed revenge bid for Aquinas in 2020.
But their story may just change with a chance handed them to do a number on the very opponent who inflicted the 2017 defeat on them.
Prempeh College and St. Thomas Aquinas know all that is on the line.
A defeat at this stage of the competition sends the loser to battle for a chance at next year’s nationals from the trenches of regional qualifiers, nobody wants that.
There is no redemption for losing schools as they had at the previous stage of the tournament. Only total victory can save either of them. It’s all or nothing!
Ofori Panin SHS who made it as one of the losing schools with a high mark will feature in this contest as well but their fate is all but sealed.
The 2022 National Science and Maths Quiz is produced by Primetime Limited and sponsored by the Ghana Education Service in partnership with Absa Ghana and supported by GOIL, Prudential Life Insurance, AirtelTigo, Dano Milk, Newmont, Accra College of Medicine, Academic City University College and Y FM.
The broadcast of the National Science & Maths Quiz on JoyNews is supported by Virtual Infosec Africa, Virtual Security Africa, Vita Milk, Cowbell, Alumni by Enterprise Life, Faytex Toilet Roll, Ace Medical Insurance, Azar Group, Kings Group Limited, Family Health Medical School, DBS, KORBA and Lumetrust from Pharmatrust.
Below is the list of contests expected at the one-eighth stage:
- Woman ordered to refund $80k after she refuses to marry man who paid her fees
- We were never consulted on NDC Parliamentary leadership reshuffle – Muntaka Mubarak
- Suspected food poisoning: Waakye kills 5 including pregnant woman
- Debt Exchange Programme: Government reaches agreement with Ghana Insurers Association
- Financial crisis has affected my GH¢106k investment – Agyinasare
- Minority Leadership reshuffle an affront to dignity of NDC Caucus – Dr. Dominic Ayine
- Stonebwoy thanks Asamoah Gyan for paying for his surgery 7 years ago
- Consultations are not mandatory – Dr. Spio-Garbrah on change in Minority leadership
- Haruna Iddrisu disclaims posts on Facebook, Twitter handles purported to be his
- ‘I’ve had frank conversations with Haruna Iddrisu’ – Ato Forson reveals
- Kenyan court convicts Venezuelan diploma of murder
- Is Iñaki Williams favourite to win LaLiga African MVP award?
- Woman arrested for enrolling as high school student
- Ukraine declares war on its other enemy, corruption
- Minority leadership reshuffle: Issue too delicate for Mahama to intervene – Lecturer
- Tyre Nichols: Biden urges calm ahead of police beating video release
- Australian Open: Novak Djokovic beats Tommy Paul, Tsitsipas sees off Khachanov
- Everton set to appoint ex-Burnley boss Sean Dyche as new manager
- CENDLOS to create sustained digital pathways in GTVET, CEA education
- Court orders for pregnancy test of woman convicted in ¢50k theft before sentence
- Sarkodie reveals secret every rapper should know
- Debt Exchange: Banks deserve a better deal- Alhassan Andani
- Independent Tax Appeals Board to improve ease of doing business in Ghana – American Chamber of Commerce
- One dead as vehicle runs into traders at Suame
- Full Report: Technical Committee on exclusion of individual bondholders from Debt Exchange Programme