Audio By Carbonatix
The National Coordinator for the District Road Improvement Programme (DRIP), Nii Lantey Vanderpuye, has revealed that the National Intelligence Bureau (NIB) halted its planned arrest of the Member of Parliament for Assin South, Rev. John Ntim Fordjour, following a request from the Minority Leader, Alexander Afenyo-Markin.
Speaking on Channel One TV on Thursday, April 10, Nii Lantey Vanderpuye explained that Afenyo-Markin had appealed to National Security, requesting permission to personally present Rev. Fordjour, who also serves as the Ranking Member on the Defence and Interior Committee, to their office by 10:00 a.m. on Thursday, April 10.
Mr Vanderpuye confirmed that this request was granted, leading to the suspension of the arrest operation.
In his comments, Mr Vanderpuye clarified that the absence of Rev. Fordjour from Parliament during the operation was not an unusual situation.
He emphasised that being an MP does not grant immunity from arrest, rather it offers a privilege that can only be exercised through the Speaker of Parliament.
"The fact that you are a Member of Parliament does not absolve you from being arrested, but it is only a privilege that you have, and that privilege is exercised through the Speaker," he stated.
Mr Vanderpuye also criticised the actions of the Minority at Rev. Fordjour’s residence, labelling their behaviour as unnecessary and theatrical.
He described the events as a “drama,” noting that the Minority Leader had previously agreed with government officials on how to handle such matters.
“Afenyo-Markin yesterday pleaded that he would present Ntim Fordjour today at 10 a.m. That is what led to the abrogation of the operation,” he said.
Reflecting on the government’s response, Mr Vanderpuye explained that the authorities had been willing to listen to Afenyo-Markin’s plea, which resulted in the suspension of the operation.
He further suggested that, had the plea not been accepted, the Minority might have attempted to prevent the security forces from carrying out their duty.
“Because we are a listening government, we allowed and accepted his plea,” Vanderpuye concluded.
Latest Stories
-
2026 ACI World Congress: In Accra, a quiet reframe of how emerging markets see themselves
16 minutes -
No break-in, no theft at Ashaiman showroom – Hisense Ghana clarifies
1 hour -
This Saturday on Newsfile: Attack on free speech and return of GN Bank
2 hours -
The evidence before High Court continues to expose weakness of the Republic’s case against Wontumi
2 hours -
I recommended Haruna and Muntaka for ministerial roles — Asiedu Nketia
2 hours -
The Cost of Macroeconomic Stabilization: An Analysis of the Bank ofGhana’s 2025 Financial Deficit
2 hours -
Haruna Iddrisu takes a subtle jibe at Asiedu Nketia’s ‘Thank You Tour’
3 hours -
GSA, PTB donate 50 calibrated weighing scales to Techiman traders on World Metrology Day
3 hours -
US says temporary visa holders should leave to apply for Green Cards
3 hours -
Asiedu Nketia pledges stronger welfare support for former NDC executives
3 hours -
NDC parliamentary leadership reshuffle secured 2024 election victory – Asiedua Nketiah
5 hours -
Agbodza visits Adaklu-Helekpe mudslide victims, warns of more danger around mountain
5 hours -
TTAG urge government’s urgent action on recruitment and postings
5 hours -
World Vision Ghana brings joy to Wa West children with mass birthday celebration
5 hours -
Health Ministry announces mop-up exercise for validation and posting of health professionals
5 hours