Chaotic scenes unfolded in some public health facilities across Ghana today as the ongoing strike by nurses and midwives entered a critical phase.
The total withdrawal of services has left patients stranded, clinics overcrowded, and doctors overwhelmed, despite a court injunction secured by the National Labour Commission (NLC) against the strike.
The Ghana Registered Nurses and Midwives Association (GRNMA) insists they will not return to work until their demands are met.
The strike, which began in phases on June 2, 2025, escalated on June 9 with a complete withdrawal of services. The GRNMA is protesting the delayed implementation of the 2024 Collective Agreement, which governs salaries, allowances, and working conditions.
The association claims the government's stance during negotiations violates Act 651 of the Labour Law, which mandates good faith in negotiations.
Despite an interim injunction secured by the National Labour Commission (NLC) to restrain the GRNMA from laying down their tools, the nurses have carried through their plan, bringing healthcare services to a halt at many public health facilities.
The NLC has backed its previous move with another application for substituted service, compelling the GRNMA to compulsory arbitration.
At the Ridge Hospital in Accra, patients had been left unattended due to the strike. A lady who brought her brother for review narrated her ordeal to JoyNews.
"We arrived around 5:30 a.m., and up until now, we have been left unattended due to the strike. We were told physicians would see us, but they are at the wards, and many have left because of the situation"
At the Korle Bu Teaching Hospital, earlier today, some senior nurses attempted to provide care to patients already admitted.
However, some junior nurses reportedly prevented them from proceeding, leading to chaotic scenes within the emergency ward. The issue was resolved amicably once hospital management intervened.
The strike has also affected other regions. In Tamale, the Central and West hospitals were completely deserted, with nurses and midwives fully complying with the directive to boycott work.
In the Upper East Region, the Upper East Regional Hospital experienced a complete withdrawal of services, with nurses in all units deciding not to work.
Meanwhile, the GRNMA has warned that the strike will continue until their demands are met. The association has called on the government to address the issues raised and implement the 2024 Collective Agreement to ensure better working conditions for nurses and midwives.
Latest Stories
-
AviaDev Africa 2025: Zanzibar dazzled as leaders gathered to shape Africa’s aviation and travel future
12 minutes -
Ghana’s Real Estate: A Booming but fiercely competitive market- Who’s Buying, Who’s Watching, and Where is the Market Headed?
28 minutes -
Armwrestling : Civil Aviation courts Armwrestling for active and healthy lifestyle amongst staff
1 hour -
Thomas Partey crowned 2025 Ghana Footballer of the Year
2 hours -
IGP orders major raids on illegal mining sites along River Ankobra: 61 arrested
2 hours -
Iran missiles cause multiple casualties in Israel as Israeli strikes hit Tehran oil depot
2 hours -
Parliament lauds nurses and midwives for calling off strike
3 hours -
12 out of 14 districts suffering from illegal mining – Western Regional Minister
3 hours -
Ghana ready for assembling combustion vehicles, production of electric vehicles – Energy Ministry
3 hours -
Don’t buy contaminated food – Environmental director advises
3 hours -
Ghana exposed to global fuel shocks amid empty oil buffers – COPEC
3 hours -
Energy Ministry says suspension of fuel levy due to Iran-Israel tensions, soaring oil prices
3 hours -
Mahama commends Yaa Naa for peace in Dagbon
3 hours -
Father’s Day: Husbands must adapt to changing roles – Ebo Whyte
3 hours -
Ghana validates first National E-Commerce Strategy
3 hours