Former communications director of the Ghana Football Association, Ibrahim Sannie Daara has revealed Otto Addo played a key role in Ghana’s 2-2 draw with Germany at the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.
The Borussia Dortmund’s assistant coach has been in the news as a possible candidate for the interim head coach role of the Black Stars, following the sacking of Milovan Rajevac after a disastrous campaign in the 2021 Africa Cup of Nations.
Addo was an assistant coach in Rajevac’s second tenure with the Black Stars but could not join the team in Cameroon as he had duties to fulfil with club side, Borussia Dortmund.
In a discussion with Evans Mensah on the PM Express show, Sannie Daara, revealed that Ghana’s extraordinary fixture with Germany in the 2014 World Cup was a result of the former Black Stars player’s brilliant scouting research which aided then head coach, Kwesi Appiah in assembling his side to face 4-time World Cup winners.
“One thing Ghanaians don’t know is that Ghana’s biggest result at the 2014 World Cup was against Germany and you will remember that Germany beat every country including Brazil with more than 7 goals. Ghana was able to hold Germany,” he said.
“The tactics used by Ghana’s head coach Kwesi Appiah were prepared by Otto Addo who was then Scout for the team against Germany. He gave a concise report that helped Kwesi Appiah to pull off this massive feat”
The Black Stars were in Group G with USA, Portugal, and Germany but could not make it past the group stages as they did in 2006 and 2010. The team had an early exit from the competition after accumulating just a point in 3 games.
Daara believes Addo has what it takes to lead the side to victory against Nigeria as he feels he knows the current crop of players as well as understands the tactics and philosophies that could best suit the side.
“If we have such a coach in place that knows the players and in the interim, he is able to do this, I think it is the wisest thing to do, at least for the next two games.”
- West Hills Mall death: Shop manager remanded
- Ablakwa kicks court writ on the ground upon service by bailiff
- Rev Kusi Boateng injuncts Ablakwa from further publications on him
- Growing list of companies ordered by GRA to pay back-taxes
- GOIL attributes drop in diesel price to Gold for Oil barter deal
- Rev Victor Kusi Boateng sues Ablakwa for defamation
- I’ve instructed my lawyers to act on Rev Kusi Boateng’s injunction against me – Ablakwa
- Check out Akufo-Addo’s reaction as Black Sherif performs for him
- Diana Hamilton reveals why she won’t talk about National Cathedral
- Ex-policeman gets death penalty for lawyer’s murder
- Musk found not guilty of fraud over Tesla tweet
- Man shot by police was cleaning out – family
- Number of staff suing Twitter ‘goes up daily’ – lawyer
- Nursing and Midwifery institutes prioritising theory over practical skills – Oncologist
- I started smoking at the age of 11 – Musician OJ Blaq reveals
- Ebenezer Kojo Kum resigns as Chieftaincy Minister
- President Akufo-Addo accepts Chieftaincy Minister’s resignation
- Livestream: One-on-one with Seth Terkper on PM Express
- I did national service in Aliu Mahama’s office despite being NDC member – Sam George
- Flora Tissue grants renowned actor Fred Amugi’s 74th birthday wish
- I’m unable to confirm whether 1st gold for oil consignment was paid in cash – Deputy BoG Governor
- I’ll later explain my comment about people who watch movies for long hours – Yaw Dabo
- University of Ghana VC must go – Concerned students demand
- Groundworks underway for construction of modern film studios in Ghana, West Africa – Idris Elba
- GRA withdraws $672m back-tax demand from MTN Group