An Aid to former President John Mahama, Joyce Bawa-Mogtari, has called for the vetting and approval of future Auditor-General by Parliament.
The former Transport Minister told Winston Amoah on Joy FM’s Super Morning Show Monday that vetting and approving an Auditor-General will ensure consensus and bi-partisanship in the appointment of an Auditor-General.
“At least we know one thing that in Parliament, when it comes to some of these key constitutional appointments, there’s a certain bipartisan approach that on the face of it they’ll all be an addendum that this is the person that we all agree should occupy this position,” she said.
Her comment comes on the heels of the back and forth and the controversies surrounding the dismissal of the Auditor-General, Daniel Domelevo.
The anti-corruption crusader has been asked by the presidency to proceed on retirement on grounds that he has passed the 60 year retirement age.
This was after he served his mandatory 167 days accumulated leave as directed by President Akufo-Addo.
In a letter signed by the Executive Secretary of the President Nana Bediatuo Asante, it said Mr Dormelevo turned 60 years last year and is, therefore, deemed to have reached the mandatory retirement age.
However, the decision to retire him has been criticised by many civil society groups and personalities including Edem Senanu, Franklin Cudjoe, Professor Stephen Asare among others.
They said for someone who has saved the public purse from selfish and greedy public servants must be kept in office not hounded out of office.
On her part, Mrs Bawa-Mogtari has also condemned the move by the government on grounds that Mr Domelevo has served the state in his capacity as Auditor-General diligently.
She equally suspects some level of foul play and argues that “the issues to do with nationality and citizenship” are not enough grounds to dismiss Mr Domelevo considering his level of hard work.
Mrs Bawah believes Mr Domelevo is being persecuted because he dared to investigate the Senior Minister, Yaw Osarfo Maafo, over his role in the $1m Kroll and Associates audit contract.
She believes “if he (Domelevo) had gone through a vetting process in Parliament some of these conversations that are coming up would have been resolved.
- Otumfuo destools chief of Asante’s famous Antoa town
- 16 feared dead, over 40 injured in Gomoa Okyereko accident on Accra-Cape Coast highway
- Supreme Court ‘cautions and discharges’ NDC’s Kpessa Whyte after convicting him for contempt
- Ghana branded ambulance found in Dubai in viral video not for sale – National Ambulance Service
- Renowned Economist Dr. Joe Abbey is dead
- Pressure mounts on cedi; loses 9% in value to dollar last week
- Tinubu removes controversial Fuel subsidy in Nigeria
- Parliament writes to EC, declares Assin North seat vacant
- We’re sorry for obnoxious statements about Christianity in history textbook – Ghana Authors & Publishers
- AFCON 2023Q: Nuamah included, Sowah dropped as Hughton names Ghana squad to face Madagascar
- Resign and concentrate on your health; Ahanta West needs development – NDC tells Kojo Kum
- Tariq Lamptey Foundation donates football kits and equipment to two schools in Asamankese
- OccupyGhana shocked at government’s new position on Public Officers Act after ignoring its calls
- Beyoncé celebrates Blue Ivy after she takes stage at Renaissance world tour
- National Cathedral: Only $22.07m out of $58.14m has gone into actual construction – Ablakwa
- Agorkedzi: Another tidal waves destruction leaves one dead, many homeless
- Immediately transfer shares held by JOHL to GNPC – Minority to government
- 2023 U23 AFCON: Kamaldeen Sulemana to be called up to Black Meteors squad for tournament
- Family of late Akwaboah Snr. holds one-week memorial
- POGA 1997 year group celebrates 25th anniversary
- Ghana International School poised to make an impact in Ghana and beyond – Principal discloses
- UNDP, Japan construct reference labs at Kotoka and other ports of entry
- Burning Issues: Pharmacist highlights effect of teenagers’ misuse of contraceptives
- Police Inspector charged with murder for shooting girlfriend to death in Kumasi
- Nana Frimpomaa Akosua Sarpong Kumankumah files to contest CPP flagbearer race