Audio By Carbonatix
Parliament is set to be briefed on the status of the probe involving the former Ghana Football Association (GFA) President Kwesi Nyantakyi who allegedly used the President’s name to peddle influence.
The business statement of Parliament for next week indicated the Attorney General Gloria Akufo is expected to do the briefing.
The update is coming five months and some odd days after President Nana Akufo-Addo filed a complaint with the Criminal Investigations Department (CID) on May 22, 2018.

This was after the presidency watched portions of an investigative documentary by decorated undercover investigator and journalist, Anas Aremeyaw Anas.
In the documentary titled ‘Number 12’, the football chief is heard telling an undercover agent posing as the investor, he could help him get access to the President and Vice-President.
“You can start with something small in your own discretion, then when you get the contract; the big contract, we can go back and give them more money, then we will take over the whole country,” Kwesi Nyantakyi was heard in the documentary broadcast to large audiences in Accra and Kumasi in June 2018.
Ghana’s rising star in world football administration resigned and lost his positions on international football bodies such as CAF, WAFU and FIFA.
Kwesi Nyantakyi was subsequently arrested and charged with defrauding by false pretence.
Worried about the state of investigations nine months after the airing of the documentary, Anas Aremeyaw Anas announced in March 2019, he was collecting signatures to an online petition to pile pressure on the government.
The Attorney-General claimed Anas is yet to supply her department the raw an unedited tape. Anas responded it had already been supplied.
Photo: Gloria AKuffo
The back-and-forth explanations did not surprise NDC General Secretary Asiedu Nketia who has predicted, ‘nothing will happen to Kwesi Nyatakyi.’
“I said this the day he was picked up by the CID…I said this is just a storm in the teacup,” he said.
Fast forward to October 2019, MP for Mion, Mohammed Abdul-Aziz, has submitted a question on the status of investigations to which the Attorney-General is obliged to answer.
The update in Parliament is also coming at the time when Ghana football administration is beginning to recover after it nosedived following the airing of the documentary in June 2018.
Meanwhile, a new GFA President and Executive Council is being elected.
Latest Stories
-
Ghana finish African Seniors Athletics Championships with 5 medals
10 minutes -
Kwame Dadzie: Strongman did not originate adowa rap
17 minutes -
Ghana exits IMF, but broken promises stoke fears of an 18th bailout
18 minutes -
Fighter jet crews parachute safely after collision at US air show
25 minutes -
Taiwan will not provoke conflict nor give up sovereignty, says president
25 minutes -
Trump’s White House ballroom loses federal funding proposed by Senate Republicans
26 minutes -
New BBC boss warns that ‘tough choices are unavoidable’
27 minutes -
Trump-backed challenger defeats Republican senator who voted to convict president
29 minutes -
Tributes flow after Australian shark attack victim named as father-of-two
29 minutes -
‘Everest Man’ and ‘Mountain Queen’ break own records scaling world’s tallest peak
30 minutes -
Thousands of New York commuters braced for Monday morning chaos due to rail strike
31 minutes -
HS2 failings blamed on high-speed focus and political pressure
31 minutes -
Instant AI answers can trivialise human intelligence, warns Royal Observatory
33 minutes -
Driver of crashed train tested positive for drugs, Thai police say
33 minutes -
Video: President Mahama delivers keynote address at 79th World Health Assembly
1 hour