On Wednesday, Asante Kotoko will welcome Sudanese top-flight side Al-Hilal to the Accra Sports Stadium as they seek a CAF Champions League group stage place.
A 1-1 draw and an awarded 2-0 victory over Mauritanian league winners FC Nouadhibou saw the Porcupine Warriors advance to their current stage.
Al-Hilal EC battled Ugandan side Vipers in the Preliminary round and came away with an aggregate 2-0 win.
All eyes will be on Kotoko who will be guided by interim coach Johnson Smith in their quest to become a driving force in the continent.
What is the kickoff time?
The match will start at exactly 15:00 GMT.
The two teams met in the CAF Confederation Cup group stage in 2019.
The Blue Wave beat the Porcupine Warriors 1-0 at home and held their Ghanaian opponents to a 1-1 draw in the return fixture in Kumasi.
Current form of both teams
Kotoko have recorded one defeat in their last five matches (W3 D1 L1).
The Kumasi-based club drew 1-1 with Nouadhibou and were rewarded with a 2-0 victory in the second leg due to medical issues in the camp of the Mauritanian side.
In the Ghana Premier League, Johnson Smith’s side recorded 1-0 victories over Dreams FC and Legon Cities. Their 1-0 defeat came at the hands of Great Olympics.
The Blue Wave have also lost once in their last five games (W3 D1 L1). They grabbed two consecutive 1-0 victories over Vipers recently.
Al-Hilal EC also recorded a comfortable 3-0 win over Ahli Shendi. They drew goalless with Hilal El-Fasher and lost 1-0 to Al-Merreikh.
Johnson Smith has a fully fit squad available for the game.
The Sudanese top-flight side have no problems ahead of the fixture.
• Al-Hilal EC have won three of their last five away games (W3 D2). During that run, they have netted six goals and conceded one.
• The Blue wave have recorded just two defeats in their last 15 competitive games (W11 D2 L2).
• Kotoko have won two of their last five home games (W2 D2 L1). They netted four goals in those matches and conceded two.
• The Porcupine Warriors have also lost two of their last 15 competitive games (W6 D7 L2).
- One feared dead, several others injured after accident at Legon underpass
- Citi FM journalist, Caleb Kudah allegedly picked up by National Security operatives
- We will not allow any religious group to plunge Ghana into chaos – Muntaka
- Kwabena Agyepong welcomed back to NPP after 6 years suspension
- Leadership crisis at Ghana Rugby: Chairman Herbert Mensah suspended indefinitely, set to be removed from office on June 8
- SALL kicks against EC’s decision to amend C.I. for them to vote in 2024
- Former British High Commissioner to Ghana, Craig Murray jailed for contempt in the UK
- Dr Mavis Owureku Asare: Wesley Girls’ no fast policy is not about religion
- Ghana drops to 95th in 2021 World Happiness ranking
- NSMQ 2021: Tamasco and 3 others secure tickets to Accra on day one of Northern Regional qualifiers
Unemployed man jailed 11 years for stealing
Azamati’s development as top athlete is fastest in my 11 years – West Texas track coach
Policeman grabbed over ₵100k police recruitment scam
SHSs in Sekyere Kumawu District get new facilities to ease congestion
Ghana Culture Forum pays courtesy call on Minister for Tourism, Arts and Culture
28 excavators, 267 chanfan machines destroyed in phase 2 of ‘Operation Halt’- Defence Minister
It’s time to address disconnect between science and the people – Minister advises
Barcelona miss chance to go top of La Liga after six-goal thriller with Levante
Activities of Operation Vanguard suspended by government
Social media users list Top 5 Ghanaian players
Fire guts new Kejetia Market
Protect Ghanaian businesses to aid job-oriented economic growth – Dr Kofi Amoah
Wesley Girls: Aside ban on fasting Muslims aren’t allowed to observe Salat – Old student
Operation Halt must be sustained, extended to tributaries of major rivers – Defence Minister
Akufo-Addo is not against mining, he is helping to improve it – Lands Minister