Scores of people are displaced after a fire destroyed about 50 shacks at Asafo BB near Cocobod in the Ashanti Region.

At least one young boy was reported to have lost his life to the fire and properties worth thousands of cedis were shattered.

JoyNews’ Nana Yaw Gyimah reported that the person affected had to pass the night with friends in the slum while others did so in the open.

About 40 shacks were completely burnt by the fire which is suspected to have set by a couple who were cooking with a coal pot in the area known for pillow production.

It is, however, believed that raw cotton material had ignited the flame.

Eyewitnesses told JoyNews that some drug addicts were often seen cooking at that very spot.

A relative of the deceased, Efia Pokua, who arrived few minutes after the body of the boy was conveyed said efforts to have the boy stay off the slum has proved futile.

“He lived with his father at Atonsu but he joined some friends and relocated to the slum, his father told me he received a call that his son was dead so I came to confirm.”

Whilst the victims wait on the National Disaster Management Organization (NADMO) to come to their aid, they will have to continue spending the night either with friends or in the open.