Audio By Carbonatix
A group of soldiers on Benin's national television claimed to have seized power in the West African nation on Sunday, the latest threat to democratic norms in the unstable region.
"The army solemnly commits to give the Beninese people the hope of a truly new era, where fraternity, justice and work prevail," said a statement read by one of the soldiers who was flanked by half a dozen others, several wearing helmets.
"The constitution is suspended. All institutions are dissolved (and) political party activities suspended until further notice."
A government spokesperson did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
The announcement came as Benin was preparing for a presidential election in April that would mark the end of the tenure of incumbent Patrice Talon, in power since 2016.
Benin’s ruling coalition had nominated Finance Minister Romuald Wadagni to be its candidate, positioning a man seen as a key architect of its economic policies to pursue the administration’s current reform agenda if elected.
Talon's decision to step down after two terms was a rare move in the West and Central Africa region where democratic norms are increasingly under pressure.
A coup last month in Guinea-Bissau was the ninth in the region since 2020.
Latest Stories
-
Haruna Iddrisu takes a subtle jibe at Asiedu Nketia’s ‘Thank You Tour’
9 minutes -
GSA, PTB donate 50 calibrated weighing scales to Techiman traders on World Metrology Day
43 minutes -
US says temporary visa holders should leave to apply for Green Cards
47 minutes -
Asiedu Nketia pledges stronger welfare support for former NDC executives
54 minutes -
NDC parliamentary leadership reshuffle secured 2024 election victory – Asiedua Nketiah
2 hours -
Agbodza visits Adaklu-Helekpe mudslide victims, warns of more danger around mountain
2 hours -
TTAG urge government’s urgent action on recruitment and postings
2 hours -
World Vision Ghana brings joy to Wa West children with mass birthday celebration
3 hours -
NAIMOS arrest one foreign national and 7 Ghanaians in anti-galamsey operation in Ashanti Region
3 hours -
Health Ministry announces mop-up exercise for validation and posting of health professionals
3 hours -
GoldBod wins community backing for responsible mining support program in Ashanti Region
3 hours -
Xenophobic attack: Why announce evacuation without preparation? – Minority caucus questions gov’t
3 hours -
Government failed Ghanaians in South Africa — Minority slams evacuation delay
3 hours -
Heavy downpour leaves Kaneshie, other parts of Accra flooded
3 hours -
Mahama’s STEM push aims to build curious, creative students – Haruna Iddrisu
3 hours