Carlos Soler scored a hat trick of penalties as Valencia inflicted a damaging 4-1 defeat on Real Madrid in a chaotic encounter at Mestalla.
Karim Benzema gave the visitors a first half lead with a stunner from outside the area, but Valencia equalised in dramatic fashion. Thibaut Courtois saved a Soler penalty only for Yunus Musah to convert the rebound. A retake, however, was ordered for encroachment and Soler converted at the second attempt.
Raphael Varane found the back of his own net in a calamitous manner just before the break, spinning a clearance up over Courtois. VAR was used to determine the ball had indeed crossed the line.
Marcelo felled Maxi Gomez inside the six-yard box to give Soler another opportunity from the spot, with the midfielder finding the back of the net. And he had a hat trick of penalties soon after following a clear handball by Sergio Ramos.
The result sends Real Madrid into the international break on the back of a heavy defeat, with the capital club sitting in fourth place, four points adrift of early pace-setters Real Sociedad at the top of the table.
- Rotary Club leads medical outreach in Abume
- Niger junta’s PM meets EU envoy amid tension
- Rotary Club of Ho raises ₵250,000 to upgrade Kpando Health Center to Polyclinic Status
- CAF Confederation Cup: Dreams FC to play Sierra Leone’s Kallon in Liberia
- Morocco to spend $12bn on earthquake recovery
- Finding middle ground: The Debate on Disbanding Student-led Traditional and Ritual Practices in Ghanaian Universities
- 2024 Women’s AFCONQ: Black Queens faced challenges before Rwanda game – Nora Hauptle
- 2024 Women’s AFCONQ: Black Queens beating Rwanda 7-0 satisfying – Nora Hauptle
- Deputy NPA CEO receives 2023 Leadership Excellence Award
- Guinean cycles across six countries for spot at Egypt’s Al-Azhar University
- Venezuela sends 11,000 troops to retake prison
- Poland to stop supplying weapons to Ukraine over grain row
- EC can go to court if it feels frustrated by parliament regarding CI – Andy Appiah-Kubi
- EC doesn’t need a new law to decentralise limited voter registration – Dafeamekpor
- Explore the option of becoming self-employed – NSS boss urges personnel