Audio By Carbonatix
A white South African farm worker accused of killing two black women says he was forced to feed their bodies to pigs, according to lawyers.
Adrian de Wet is one of three men facing murder charges after Maria Makgato, 45, and Lucia Ndlovu, 34, were killed while allegedly looking for food on a farm near Polokwane in South Africa's northern Limpopo province last year.
Their bodies were then alleged to have been given to pigs in an apparent attempt to dispose of the evidence.
Mr De Wet, 20, turned state witness when the trial started on Monday and says farm owner Zachariah Johannes Olivier shot and killed the two women.
Ms Makgato and Ms Ndlovu were searching for soon-to-expire dairy products which had been left for pigs when they were killed.
Mr De Wet, a supervisor on the farm, will testify that he was under duress when he was forced to throw their bodies into the pig enclosure, according to both the prosecution and his lawyer.
If the court accepts his testimony, all charges against him will be dropped.
The case has sparked outrage across South Africa, exacerbating racial tensions in the country.
Such tension is especially rife in rural areas, despite the end of the racist system of apartheid more than 30 years ago. Most private farmland remains in the hands of the white minority, while most farm workers are black and poorly paid, fuelling resentment among the black population, while many white farmers complain of high crime rates.
- South Africa outrage over farmer accused of feeding women to pigs
- Is there a genocide of white South Africans as Trump claims?
William Musora, 50, another farm worker, is the third accused. He and Mr Olivier, 60, are yet to enter a plea and remain behind bars.
The three men also face charges of attempted murder for shooting at Ms Ndlovu's husband, who was with the women at the farm - as well as possession of an unlicensed firearm and obstructing justice for allegedly dumping the bodies in the pig enclosure in an attempt to conceal evidence.
Mr Musora, a Zimbabwean national, faces an additional charge under South Africa's Immigration Act over his status as an illegal immigrant.
The Limpopo High Court was packed with supporters and relatives of the victims ahead of proceedings. Also present was Mr Olivier's wife, who was seated in the front row of the public gallery and could be seen wiping away tears.
Members of the opposition party Economic Freedom Fighters, which has previously called for the farm to be shut down, were also present in the courtroom.
The trial was postponed to next week.
Latest Stories
-
Ablakwa seeks Russian support for Africa-led fight against Sahel extremism
2 minutes -
Host mining communities are partners in development, not obstacles – GJA President
4 minutes -
Ghana to sign 5 new petroleum agreements soon – Energy Minister
4 minutes -
GJA President urges Ghana to weigh environmental and social costs alongside mining revenues
16 minutes -
Irresponsible mining: The land is not your own – Prof Mike Oquaye cautions
24 minutes -
62 Ghanaians killed, 15 missing in Russia-Ukraine war – Ablakwa
24 minutes -
GJA President urges responsible, sustainable mining
25 minutes -
Ghana must take charge of its mineral resources – Prof. Mike Oquaye
32 minutes -
KickedIn uses technology to connect African football talent with global opportunities
33 minutes -
GoldBod did not record GH¢22bn loss; audited accounts show GH¢5.44bn surplus – Institute of Fiscal Policy Governance
36 minutes -
Mining comes with responsibility to future generations – Ga Mantse
39 minutes -
Ga Mantse calls for measurable CSR and stronger local participation in mining communities
46 minutes -
Ga Mantse urges mining industry to protect communities beyond the life of mines
1 hour -
Empowerher in Upper West region
1 hour -
Ga Mantse challenges mining stakeholders to consider long-term impact of Ghana’s mineral wealth
2 hours