St. Jerome SHS in Offinso Municipality of the Ashanti Region, beat Opoku Ware School on Wednesday, to win the 2019 Luv FM High School Debate, with just a point.
The “Giant Killers” as they were referred to, St. Jerome SHS which was the less fancied in the one-month competition, had accounted for schools like St. Louis and Armed Forces, on their way to the final.
The new entrants amassed a total of 227 points after each of the three judges scored them 79 – 75 – 73 against Opoku Ware School’s total point of 226 having assembled 77 – 79 – 70.
Doreen Vanessa Yaa Opoku of St. Jerome SHS also picked the Best Debater award and went home with GHâ‚µ1,000 donated by Chief Executive of The Multimedia Group, Kwasi Twum.
It was Opoku Ware School, led by Foster Akanbong Awentirim, who set the stage for a fierce contest on the motion, “Election of MMDCES is Best Option for Local Development”. Supported by Kofi Anim Kissiedu, he drummed home why MMDCES should be elected.
Their opponents, Doreen and Priscilla were ruthless in advancing and enumerating12 reasons, the election of MMDCEs cannot be a panacea to local development.
That determined the winner after the three judges had struggled in picking between them.
- I’ll walk naked to Parliament to protest the anti-LGBTQ bill if it’s approved – Mother of transgender singer affirms
- Anti-LGBTQ Bill won’t meet constitutional test going forward – Dr Poku Adusei
- Anti-LGBTQ Bill: We are making it a crime for anybody to attack any known gay person- Dafeamekpor
- Homeland Study Group Leader, Papavi reported dead
- Embassies’ denial of visas over Anti-LGBTQ bill amounts to imperialism – Economist
- Samson’s Take: Stop hurting with your bad attitude at work
- Anti LGBTQI+ Bill: Does the NDC have one face at home and another face abroad? – Prof. Emerita Manuh asks
- Nothing will change about fuel prices – CEO of Bulk Oil Distributors
- Don’t misconstrue groups against Anti-LGBTQ Bill as supporters of same-sex related activities – Dr Poku Adusei
- Nurses, midwives and relatives saw my son as a girl – Mother of transgender recounts
Sir David Amess: MP murder suspect held under Terrorism Act
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer: ‘It is time to ask the question: Is Man Utd boss up to the job?’
Sudan: Protesters demand military coup as crisis deepens
French President Macron condemns ‘unforgivable’ 1961 massacre of Algerians in Paris
US Christian missionaries kidnapped in Port-au-Prince – Reports
Over 800,000 Ghanaians fully immunized against Covid-19 – GHS
Mohamed Salah: Liverpool forward ‘the best player’ in the world, says Jurgen Klopp
Paul Pogba: Man Utd need to ‘change something’ after loss to Leicester
ECOWAS deploys 55 observers to Presidential election in Cabo Verde
Ghana’s Sustainable Financing framework published on Finance Ministry’s website
Livestream: Church service with Pastor Mensa Otabil
Human Rights advocate urges Ghanaians to be circumspect with discussions on LGBTQI+ bill
Proscribed lamps removed from 1418 vehicles in one week – NRSA
TECNO Brings Ultra-steady and Ultra-clear Gimbal Camera Phone CAMON 18 Premier
“You’ve all been cowed” – Mahama criticises media for not probing corruption allegations against government