Luis Suarez scored a dramatic late winner as Atletico Madrid fought back to beat Osasuna and put themselves on the verge of a first La Liga title for seven years.
Diego Simeone’s side now travel to Real Valladolid in their final game knowing that a win will clinch the title.
Ante Budimir’s header had put Osasuna on course for a shock win and seen Real Madrid briefly top the table.
But Renan Lodi levelled before Suarez steered in Yannick Carrasco’s cross.
Both Atletico goals arrived in the final 10 minutes of a compelling contest – and just as it looked as though they were going to have to surrender top spot to their city rivals.
Real, who were leading and went on to win at Athletic Bilbao, were in pole position for the title with two minutes remaining.
Simeone’s side, who have led the table since November and at one stage had a 10-point lead at the top, dominated throughout but initially failed to take advantage of a glut of chances, with the Argentine urging them forward.
Suarez hit the post and flashed a drive wide as the hosts peppered the Osasuna goal with 16 shots during the first half.
And Stefan Savic then had a second-half goal disallowed after a VAR review correctly found he was offside when volleying in from close range.
Budimir’s header, which was also awarded after a review, came after a superb run and cross from Ruben Garcia but was one of just two efforts on target for the visitors.
However, Lodi, who was introduced as a substitute settled home nerves with a clinical left-foot effort into the top corner and the hosts more than deserved their victory.
Barcelona had also started Sunday’s penultimate round of fixtures in contention for a fifth title in seven years but lost 2-1 at home to Celta Vigo.
- 16 feared dead, over 40 injured in Gomoa Okyereko accident on Accra-Cape Coast highway
- Supreme Court ‘cautions and discharges’ NDC’s Kpessa Whyte after convicting him for contempt
- Pressure mounts on cedi; loses 9% in value to dollar last week
- Nigeria: Hilton Hotel owner, two workers sentenced to death for murder of student
- Bawumia picks NPP flagbearer nomination form
- AFCON 2023Q: Nuamah included, Sowah dropped as Hughton names Ghana squad to face Madagascar
- Parliament writes to EC, declares Assin North seat vacant
- 2023 U23 AFCON: Kamaldeen Sulemana to be called up to Black Meteors squad for tournament
- Learn your trade, don’t force a move from Ajax – Liverpool legend advises Ghana star Mohammed Kudus
- 14-yrs after former IGP Kudalor’s bodyguard ‘vanished’, his mother seeks closure
- Prof Gyampo slams Akufo-Addo over presidency’s request for CVs of senior EC officials
- Petrol, diesel prices to stay same; LPG to go down 5% – IES
- Prudential Life Insurance targets informal sector with ‘Mekakrawa’ insurance policy
- STEM education: Afia Kobi SHS students build model aircraft to aid maritime surveillance
- Cigar smoked by Sir Winston Churchill nearly 80 years ago up for auction
- Bofoakwa Tano seal Ghana Premier League return after beating Eleven Wonders on penalties
- National Cathedral: We need $100m to import steel for work to proceed – Dr Opoku Mensah
- Black Stars face USA in friendly on October 17
- US Ambassador to Malta pays courtesy call on Ghana’s High Commissioner to Malta, Barbara Benisa
- Authorities must probe Gomoa Okyereko accident to prevent future occurrences – Afenyo-Markin
- My husband thinks I ‘tricked him into marriage’ because I postponed our baby plans to take a 6-figure job
- NDC has rolled out plans to retain Assin North seat – Mustapha Gbande
- Mother-in-law interrupts gender reveal to hug son before he can congratulate his pregnant wife
- AngloGold incident: 52 illegal miners out of underground mine
- Essipong: The Decaying Sports Stadium