All the major top European Leagues have finally been completed or cancelled due to the novel coronavirus pandemic, which gives way for the resumption of the Europa League.
UEFA’s second-tier club competition returns with last 16 ties set for today and tomorrow.
Manchester United, Inter Milan, and Sevilla see the tournament as their last chance of silverware this campaign.
Fixtures of the Round of 16.
Wednesday, 5 August
Manchester United v LASK (5-0 first leg)
FC Copenhagen v Istanbul Basaksehir (0-1 first leg)
Shakhtar Donetsk v Wolfsburg (2-1 first leg)
Inter Milan v Getafe (To be played as one-off because first leg was postponed due to Covid)
Thursday, 6 August
Bayer Leverkusen v Rangers (3-1 first leg)
Basel v Eintracht Frankfurt (3-0 first leg)
WOLVES v Olympiakos (1-1 first leg)
Sevilla v Roma (To be played as one-off because first leg was postponed due to Covid)
Favourites to lift the trophy:
Manchester United are strong favourites to win the trophy for the second time in four years. They have almost qualified to the next stage after thumping Austrian side LASK 5-0 away from home in March.
Two frightening statistics are that the Red Devils have only lost once in their past 22 games in all competitions and scored 21 goals in the competition, more than any other team.
The pedigree of the Spanish outfit needs no introduction as they won the cup three times on the bounce between 2014 to 2017. They topped Group A in the group stage with 15 points (5wins, 1 loss).
Inter Milan are another club tipped to go all the way. Antonio Conte’s side will enter the competition on the back of their best Serie A season since 2010-11 as they finished second, a point behind champions Juventus.
The quarter-finals, semi-finals and final of the tournament will be played in Germany between 10 and 21 August.
- Playback: Akufo-Addo delivers 25th address on measures taken against Covid-19
- Cameron Duodu: Sɛbe o, tafrakyɛ, na ‘Ɔte K’ɔkɔɔ Soɔ’ deɛ, yɛbɔ n’ano sɛn? – With all due respect, how can the occupant of the Golden Stool be silenced?
- Fuel prices to go up again – Chamber of Petroleum Consumers Ghana
- Kokomba warriors kill human-attacking antelopes
- Taskforce destroys excavators allegedly belonging to NPP Women’s Organiser
- 23-year-old arrested for attempting to sacrifice his nephew for money rituals
- 2nd dose of Covid-19 vaccines to be deployed from May 19 – Akufo-Addo
- Full text: Akufo-Addo’s 25th address on measures to deal with Covid-19 pandemic
- African Ministers of Health endorse and support Africa Common Position on Covid-19 passport
- Hologram, QR Code to authenticate full vaccination status of Ghanaians
1975 Sekondi College year group visits alma mater
Authorities of Cape Coast School for the Deaf and Blind appeal for infrastructural support
Classroom block for Islamic School commissioned in Akatsi North
DR Congo: 30 sentenced to death over anti-police clashes
PPP backs calls for independent probe into alleged assault of Caleb Kudah
Bawumia endorses Ghana’s candidate for Commonwealth Youth Council
Livestream: 5th edition Ghana CEO Summit
Mahama’s ‘dumsor’ is different from Akufo-Addo’s – Kweku Awotwi
GIPC hints of 5 years tax holidays for aquaculture investors
PharmAccess’ Dr Maxwell Antwi appointed to UHC2030 Advisory Group
Assault on journalists: Media Groups call for restructuring of National Security agency among others
Dr. Adoma Dwomo-Fokuo Odame: Dear Sam George, red is the only colour that matters
Miss Universe contestants unveil protest messages in politically charged pageant
Galamsey: Desilting and dredging of the Offin river underway
Enhance babies’ food with micronutrient powder – Nutrition Officer