Audio By Carbonatix
Talks to resolve the conflict over Western Sahara should take place on the sole basis of a Moroccan plan that would give the region some autonomy under the North African kingdom's sovereignty, the Trump administration said on Tuesday.
Secretary of State Marco Rubio set out the U.S. position in a meeting with Moroccan Foreign Minister Nasser Bourita in Washington, making clear that President Donald Trump's 2020 move to recognise Moroccan sovereignty over the region remains U.S. policy, State Department spokesperson Tammy Bruce said in a statement.
"The Secretary reaffirmed President Trump's urging for the parties to engage in discussions without delay, using Morocco's Autonomy Proposal as the only framework, to negotiate a mutually acceptable solution," Bruce said.
The long-frozen conflict, dating back to 1975, pits Morocco, which considers the territory as its own, against the Algeria-backed Polisario front, which seeks an independent state called the Sahrawi Republic in Western Sahara.
Rubio said on Tuesday a proposal first put forward in 2007 by Morocco was "serious, credible, and realistic" and "the only basis for a just and lasting solution to the dispute," according to Bruce.
"The United States continues to believe that genuine autonomy under Moroccan sovereignty is the only feasible solution," she added.
Trump at the end of his first term in office recognized Moroccan claims to Western Sahara as part of a deal under which Morocco agreed to normalize its relations with Israel. Trump's successor Joe Biden shunned making a statement on Trump's move, leaving the U.S. position ambiguous.
The U.S. move to recognize Moroccan sovereignty over Western Sahara in late 2020 was followed by a similar decision by France in July last year.
Spain, the former colonial power in Western Sahara, said in 2022 that it backed Morocco's autonomy plan.
A U.N.-led process on the conflict has stalled with Morocco saying autonomy is the only basis for talks, while Polisario and Algeria insist on a referendum.
Morocco has also said that no talks are possible without Algeria's participation. Algeria, which has recognized the self-declared Sahrawi Republic, has refused to take part in roundtables convened by the U.N. envoy to Western Sahara and insists on holding a referendum with independence as an option.
Latest Stories
-
Study urges balanced expectations for agricultural innovations being developed in Ghana
37 minutes -
Putin says Russia-China ties at unprecedented level, invites Xi to Russia
41 minutes -
Woman dies after falling into uncovered New York City manhole
51 minutes -
Trump to attend G7 summit in France, Axios reports
58 minutes -
UK should set maximum working temperature rules, advisers say
1 hour -
UK loosens Russian oil sanctions as fuel prices rise
1 hour -
‘Ebola has tortured us’: Fear grips eastern DR Congo as deadly virus spreads
2 hours -
Lebanon says 19 killed in Israeli air strikes
2 hours -
Thailand cuts visa-free stay period for more than 90 countries including UK
2 hours -
Man who murdered teen TikTok star in Pakistan gets death sentence
2 hours -
Ebola outbreak may be spreading faster than first thought, WHO doctor warns
2 hours -
Global Youth Network inducts 10 Ghanaians as 20-country tour begins
4 hours -
Lordina Mahama recognised by Merck Foundation for her impactful programmes
5 hours -
The wailing across Ghana reflects NDC’s scam, says Minority Chief Whip Annoh-Dompreh
5 hours -
We signal the public before NDC can mislead Ghanaians – Annoh-Dompreh
5 hours