The Accra Regional Police Command has arrested three Nigerian men and a Ghanaian woman suspected to be responsible for the murder of a two-year-old boy in Weija.

Speaking to Joy News’ Gifty Andoh Appiah on The Pulse Tuesday, Public Relations Officer of the Command, Afia Tenge said the arrest of the trio on Monday is key to investigations aimed at finding the killers of Nathaniel Owusu.

Nathaniel Owusu went missing last Wednesday at Kalabule, a suburb of Weija in the Ga-South municipality, but was found dead lying in a pile of cement blocks on Friday.

“My neighbour came screaming on Friday evening that they have found the body of my son behind their building but I could not bring myself to go there because I couldn’t look at the body,” Philomena Heyson, his mother, narrated to Joy News’ Henry Kwesi Badu.

According to her, when they finally got confirmation that it was indeed her son, she collapsed and was rushed to the hospital.

She is yet to come to terms with the reality that someone may have murdered her son, affectionately called Junior.

Related: Video: 2-year-old boy found dead in pile of blocks

His father, Kwame Owusu said he will never rest until the police conclude their investigations and bring those responsible to book.

There is hope on the horizon as the police have arrested Nigerians who live opposite the residence where the two-year-old was found. 

Afia Tenge

Though Afia Tenge confirmed that the corpse was found in a state of decompositions with visible signs of head injuries, she is unable to confirm rumours that parts of the deceased body parts had been removed.

Afia Tenge while urging caution said that until an autopsy is conducted such speculations about body parts missing and attribution to ritual killing are unhealthy.

She called on the family of Nathaniel to continue to cooperate with the police despite their loss and not take the law into their own hands. 

This follows civil disobedience by some residents of the Kalabule community following their suspicion that the police was sidestepping in their investigations.

A resident, Patrick Tawiah, alleged that when they first reported that the late Nathaniel Owusu was missing, the police dismissed it, claiming it was not yet 24 hours.

He said they were shocked when some Nigerians reported that their lives were being threatened by members of the community, the police quickly moved in to arrest the father of the deceased.

Afia Tenge explained that she cannot speak to that allegation until she is appropriately briefed.  Although she added that the Nigerians have been arrested to also protect them from harm.