Senegal forward Sadio Mane has been ruled out of the World Cup as he requires surgery on a knee injury he sustained playing for Bayern Munich.
On Tuesday, Senegal’s football federation said Mane, 30, would miss their “first games” at the tournament.
But a further MRI scan was completed on Thursday that showed surgical intervention is needed.
Mane was forced off during Bayern’s Bundesliga win over Werder Bremen on 8 November.
Senegal start their World Cup campaign against the Netherlands on Monday. The West Africans are in Group A with games against hosts Qatar (25 November) and Ecuador (29 November) to follow.
Two-time African Footballer of the Year Mane is Senegal’s talisman, having scored the winning penalty when the Teranga Lions became continental champions for the first time in February, defeating Egypt in a shoot-out in the Africa Cup of Nations final.
Within two months Mane had repeated the feat, netting the decisive spot-kick as Senegal beat Egypt – in a game that again pitted him against then Liverpool team-mate Mohamed Salah – on penalties in a play-off to qualify for Qatar.
- Close down Office of the Auditor-General – GHAMRO CEO fumes
- Fuel prices to increase by 7%-13% from February 1, 2023 – IES
- Al Sadd and Andre Ayew agree to contract termination
- Full video: SHS computerised placement for sale
- Monkeypox Outbreak: Ghana records four deaths, 116 cases
- Debt Exchange Programme: Article 71 Office Holders must take a 50% haircut – Labour Federation
- The Fourth Estate uncovers fraud in SHS computerised placement
- Education Ministry cautions against payment of money for school placement
- New chief falls from palanquin during coronation in Central Region
- Haruna led Minority leadership had challenges working with Bagbin – Asiedu Nketia
- My wife has left me because of my child with another woman – Osofo Kyiri Abosom
- Let’s invest in lower-category senior high schools – Parents
- Government going to find it difficult to include individual bondholders in DDEP – Prof Bokpin
- Abandoned Nyinahin Project; monumental disappointment to youth in sports
- Government to present better offer to individual bondholders in DDEP – Ofori-Atta
- ‘Placement for sale’ exposé makes nonsense of CSSPS – Clement Apaak
- I don’t have confidence Akufo-Addo is committed to fighting corruption – Sulemana Braimah
- Bawumia hosts American Football delegation as 9 young Ghanaians set for NFL Pro Bowl in the US
- AfDB and IFAD to build food systems resilience in Africa through ‘Mission 1 for 200’ initiative
- Swansea fans clamor for Andre Ayew return
- Total Mobile Money transactions hit record ¢1.07trillion in 2022
- CHAN 2022: We didn’t deserve to lose – Annor Walker on defeat to Niger
- Novak Djokovic says 10th Australian Open is his ‘biggest victory’
- T-bills auction: Government records 60% oversubscription
- Novak Djokovic: Why can’t the next generation stop the Australian Open champion?