Audio By Carbonatix
The National Communications Officer of the opposition National Democratic Congress (NDC) says the Mobile Money Interoperability initiative began in 2016 under the leadership of former President John Mahama.
Sammy Gyamfi claimed that a contract was granted to SIBTON by the Bank of Ghana during the NDC/Mahama administration in 2016.
In a response to the 2024 NPP flagbearer's address at UPSA, the NDC urged Dr Mahamudu Bawumia, to provide truthful information to Ghanaians.
Addressing the public on Wednesday, February 7, Dr Bawumia touted Ghana's rapid growth in the mobile money market in Africa, crediting the Akufo-Addo government's investments in the sector for this achievement.
However, Mr Gyamfi responded to Dr Bawumia's statements in a press release, alleging that the Vice President terminated a contract that had been awarded by the NDC and subsequently rewarded it to his associates.
“On the contrary, the first MOMO interoperability system contract was awarded to a company known as SIBTON by the Bank of Ghana in 2016 under the visionary NDC/Mahama government. Bawumia only came to cancel this Build Operate and Transfer (BOT) contract under false pretenses and awarded a new contract to his crony company.”
"The claim by Bawumia that the SIBTON contract was inflated by GHS4.6 billion is a lie. It was a Build, Operate, and Transfer (BOT) project. Government was not going to spend a pesewa on it. Rather, the company was going to charge the normal user fees which was projected to be GHS4.6 billion over a 15-year period as their gross revenue, inclusive of their setup and operating cost.”

"Even before this BOT interoperability project, Ghanaians could send MOMO across networks through the TOKEN system that the Ghana Interbank Payment and Settlements System (GhIPSS) Limited had provided. Remember the TOKEN MOMO SYSTEM?”
"Clearly, even before this government took office, MOMO interoperability had been long conceived and initiated. A contract had been signed to that effect. Bawumia should stop the lies.”
Latest Stories
-
Koforidua High Court restrains Akropong traditional leaders from Awukudae celebrations
48 seconds -
Ghana commissions 10 Forest Protection Camps to boost fight against illegal mining and logging
26 minutes -
Kristo Asafo founder Apostle Kwadwo Safo to be buried on July 30
31 minutes -
GSA shuts down sections of Ashaiman China Mall warehouse over alleged substandard products
36 minutes -
Ghana’s export earnings hit $11.1bn on surging gold prices
1 hour -
Oil falls after Trump says US will end Iran war ‘very quickly’
1 hour -
Digital misinformation revives debate over criminalising speech – Pumpuni Asante
2 hours -
Free speech cannot ignore accountability or security in digital age – Kojo Pumpuni Asante
2 hours -
Do not tarnish your legacy – Okuapehemaa cautions Sophia Akuffo amid enstoolment reports
2 hours -
Rule of law must prevail – Kwakye Ofosu defends gov’t position on OSP case
2 hours -
Woman, 24, allegedly attacked during robbery attempt at Akatsi
2 hours -
Dram–Deloitte trial raises cross-border, UK liability questions
3 hours -
OSP’s future may depend on constitutional review – Felix Kwakye Ofosu
3 hours -
Mahama fully backs the OSP – Gov’t rejects secret plot claims
3 hours -
Study urges balanced expectations for agricultural innovations being developed in Ghana
3 hours