The National Security Ministry has mounted a strong defence as to why it raided the Citi FM premises on Tuesday to arrest one of its journalists, Zoe Abu-Baidoo.
This comes after a section of Ghanaians criticised its operatives for storming the Adabraka-based station in a Rambo-style fashion with the intention to whisk away the news anchor.
They claim she had received unauthorised piece of information from her colleague, Caleb Kudah.
In the quest to set things straight, the Chief Director of National Security Secretariat, Lt. Col. Ababio Serebour (Rtd), said Miss Abu-Baidoo had earlier declined the invitation of the establishment.
As such, operatives were deployed to the news anchor’s workplace to pick her up for interrogation.
However, Mrs Abu Baidoo’s account depicts the contrary.
Speaking in Citi TV’s Point Of View on Wednesday, the news anchor explained narrated that upon receiving the video from Caleb, another text followed which read, “I’m hungry. Let us go and find something to eat”.
At this point, she claims she was not aware of Caleb’s predicament and had intended on responding.
In the process of the chat, she was told by a senior colleague that Caleb Kudah had been arrested.
The security personnel per Zoe’s account, called back using Caleb’s phone. The caller now introduced himself as the Director of Operations for National Security and explained the need for her to come to the secretariat for questioning.
The journalist says she told him that she would inform her employers about the development and revert regarding the way forward.
“The person was calm on the phone and said OK. So I hung up and called Richard Mensah and told him the people have called me using Caleb’s phone. He said, ‘oh these people, I told them DSP Azugu is dealing with me and so they should deal with me on that level’. So he said I should call them back and tell them that he will deal with DSP Azugu. So I called back, there was no response. I went to the cafeteria to eat.”
According to Zoe, she later left the cafeteria to receive a phone call in front of the media house’s Adabraka building where the national security operatives sped in and confronted her.
Citi FM journalist Caleb Kudah was detained on Tuesday for unlawfully filming a video at the premises of the National Security Ministry.
During the ‘Back Page’ host’s interrogation, the operatives discovered that Mr Kudah had “secretly” forwarded the files to his colleague, Mrs Abu-Baidoo.
Hence, about seven heavily armed officers invaded the premises to arrest the Broadcast journalist.
Fortunately, management of Citi FM intervened to calm the raging tempers of the operatives.
Citi FM’s General Manager, Bernard Avle, who on Metro TV’s Good Evening Ghana described the scene as “scary”, said they prevented the operatives from taking the employee.
But subsequently, sent Miss Abu-Baidoo to the National Security Office for her to be interrogated.
The questioning, according to him, lasted for about 45 minutes.
Meanwhile, Mr Kudah has accused the National security of manhandling him.
He claimed that the operatives slapped him multiple times and kicked him in the groin despite pleading to be released after he admitted to filming at the premises.
Following his revelation, the National Security Ministry said it had launched an investigation into the alleged assault in a statement on Thursday.
Lt. Col. Serebour (Rtd) indicated that the Ministry upholds the rights and freedoms of the citizenry and always strives to maintain the ethics and professional standards guiding operational duties.
“The Ministry, therefore, takes with all seriousness the allegations of manhandling of the two journalists during the interrogation. The Ministry has therefore initiated investigations into the said allegations,” he added.
- ‘You will not be Attorney General forever’ – Jinapor to Godfred Dame
- Parliament to pass stringent law to fight activities of LGBTQI+ – Bagbin
- ECG announces 22 days of ‘dumsor’ in parts of Accra
- GPL wrap: Kotoko reclaim top spot after victory over Karela, Dreams climb into top 4
- Judgment Debt saga: Nature of Power Purchasing Agreement signed exposed government to financial loss – AG
- Governor Addison explains why BoG declined Parliament’s invitation
- Judgment debt saga: Ghana would have paid $1.76bn if the agreement was not terminated – Attorney General
- WAEC taking us to court over findings unfortunate – Africa Education Watch
- ‘DCOP Opare Addo was removed from office for obstructing the work of his successor’ – Kan Dapaah
- John McAfee: Anti-virus creator found dead in prison cell
We need to intensify efforts towards industrialization – Economist to government
AMA to build modern slaughterhouse in Accra as only functional facility risks closure
No cause for alarm, assessment is not fair- Professor Osei-Assibey on Fitch’s negative assessment of Ghana’s economic outlook
AMA officials clamp down on illegal slaughterhouse operating under unsanitary conditions at Avenor
Enterprise Life re-launches AkwantuPa policy
Former Philippine President Benigno Aquino dies age 61
GPGC judgment debt: I’ve nothing to hide – Kwabena Donkor to Godfred Dame
Police gun down notorious robber who tried to escape from custody
TEDMAG, Agriculture Ministry intensify initiatives to modernise agriculture training in Ghana
Bono Regional Islamic Education Unit in dire need of Arabic teachers
Kusanaba SHS teachers hold meetings under trees 2 months after rainstorm ripped off school’s structure
Today’s front pages: Thursday, June 24, 2021
We hope to utilize our strength as Minority to benefit Ghanaians – Deputy Minority Leader
Message from the Morning Man: Good effort
Speaker inaugurates Parliamentary Friendship Associations Management Committee