Audio By Carbonatix
Nearly three out of four public sector appointments made in the final weeks of the Akufo-Addo government have been cleared to remain at post, presidential spokesperson Felix Kwakye Ofosu confirmed on Tuesday.
However, Kwakye Ofosu said a presidential committee tasked with reviewing some 2,080 recruitments, appointments, and promotions recommended that 1,539 cases be upheld.
Speaking at a press briefing, he said, “It was done without malice or ill-feeling towards anyone. It was a necessary step to uphold the rule of law and ensure accountability.”
These cleared appointments, spread across 36 state institutions, complied with established recruitment and promotion procedures.
Critically, all had appointment letters issued just before December 7, 2024, the date of the general election that brought the Mahama government to power.
The committee applied a compliance pass mark of 80 per cent, and those meeting or exceeding it are confirmed to continue in their roles.
The controversy erupted after the incoming Mahama administration accused the outgoing Akufo-Addo government of rushing through a wave of public sector appointments during the lame-duck period between the December 7, 2024, election and the January 7, 2025, inauguration.
The Chief of Staff Mr. Julius Debrah, had earlier issued a directive ordering all post-election appointments to be revoked, a move critics said risked unfairly penalising legitimate hires.
The committee’s findings suggest that while some abuses did occur, they were not as widespread as feared.
541 appointments were revoked for failing to meet procedural standards or for being concluded after December 7, while the remaining 1,539 are considered compliant.
Kwakye Ofosu emphasised that the revocations were targeted and did not affect those who had followed proper procedures.
He also noted that some cases flagged for payroll irregularities may still require additional scrutiny, but the vast majority of public servants can now expect stability in their positions.
Latest Stories
-
Joy Prime to broadcast Mexico vs Ghana friendly match on Saturday, 23rd May at 2am
21 minutes -
PNC National Chairman calls for arrest of NPP Youth Organiser
30 minutes -
Joana Gyan Foundation partners KN Foundation, GFA & PFAG for historic Nsawam Prison outreach
48 minutes -
Chief urges youth to see farming as dignified business, not punishment
56 minutes -
Majority Leader says Ghana is experiencing ‘fastest economic recovery’
1 hour -
Anlo-Afiadenyigba SHS appeals for constant water supply, security
1 hour -
‘Stability, credibility and predictability are Ghana’s competitive advantage’ – Ambassador Victor Smith
1 hour -
NAIMOS arrests Chinese national, 7 Ghanaians in Ashanti Illegal Mining crackdown
1 hour -
Three including a baby killed in multi-vehicle crash on Kasoa-Winneba Highway
1 hour -
Wontumi denies authorising illegal mining on Akonta concession
1 hour -
Agbodza visits Adaklu-Helekpe mudslide victims, calls for urgent environmental action
1 hour -
TMA holds first ordinary meeting, discusses development, challenges, progress
1 hour -
PAC calls for closure of livestock market near the national mosque
1 hour -
Security agencies don’t need my permission to arrest you – Speaker Bagbin to MPs
1 hour -
Ghana and Togo strengthen cooperation on security, trade and regional development
2 hours