The Eastern Regional Police Command has confirmed that seven people died after a boat sailing to Havorkope in the Kwahu Afram Plains North District of the Eastern Region capsised.
Speaking to the media, Eastern Regional Police PRO, DSP Ebenezer Tetteh revealed that the boat carrying about 20 people overturned midway through its journey because of a storm.
He stated that the seven persons who drowned “include five females and two males. Their ages range between 31 to 60 years and the 13 others who were on board have since been rescued.”
DSP Tetteh added that the bodies of the deceased have been deposited at a private mortuary while the Police begin their investigations.
According to witnesses, on Thursday, April 14, between the hours of 4:00pm and 5:00pm, a sudden wind storm caused the boat on which the victims were traveling to capsise, drowning some of the passengers.
Initially, a search party was sent out to look for the bodies in the river.
Meanwhile, the National Disaster Management Organisation (NADMO) say they are working with local experienced fisher folks and other experts to continue with rescue efforts.
Also, Eastern Regional Minister, Seth Kwame Acheampong says he is working closely with the Volta Regional Minister, Archibald Yao Letsa, to investigate the matter.
- ECG’s IT department resisting checks and balance moves by MD – Kwadwo Poku
- Akufo-Addo directs SIGA Boss to probe infractions in 2021 Auditor-General’s report
- Akonta Mining Limited has no permit to undertake any mining operations in Tano Nimiri Forest Reserve – Minerals Commission
- Mankessim murder: We didn’t commit crime with mason; he only dug hole for burying a victim – Chief
- Moody’s downgrades Ghana’s economy further within junk status
- COCOBOD signs $1.13bn syndicated loan for 2022/2023 cocoa crop season
- The viral lynching that was to end Nigeria’s mob justice
- Nana Ampadu to be buried on October 8
- Do not bastardise ECG’s IT department for technical hitch – John Jinapor
- Falling in love is easy — Staying in love is a choice
- The rise of prostitution commonly termed hookup among university students
- Absa Bank and MasterCard Foundation to grant ¢2.5m to Fintech/Agritech Startups
- Lordable Holm Ministry holds Thanksgiving and Testimony concert at Osu ICGC
- Akosua Adjepong eulogises her mum
- There will be no ban on cocoa from Ghana – EU Ambassador to Ghana
- Vodafone Ghana Foundation partners GES to launch STEM Teacher Awards
- NADMO, Military officers move to rescue Ashalaja flood victims
- World Bank urges African governments to urgently restore macro-economic stability, protect poor
- Theophilus Tei Ayanou: Digitised courier services – A silver bullet for e-commerce delivering conundrum
- Illegal mining could cause ban of Ghana’s cocoa beans on international market – Agric Minister
- Will Smith’s ‘Emancipation’ to release this year
- Joy FM Family Pop Quiz returns with mini-series
- Scores of residents displaced, others trapped as Weija, Oblogo and Tetegu flood
- DBG signs UN Global Compact for sustainable business and governance
- Empress Gifty loses sister, grandmother