Audio By Carbonatix
A member of the National Anti-Illegal Mining Operations Secretariat’s (NAIMOS) task force who was shot during an anti-galamsey operation in the Dormaa Central Municipality has successfully recovered, the Ministry of Lands and Natural Resources has confirmed.
In a press release issued on Thursday, 26 February 2026, the ministry said Lance Corporal Morris Addae, who was shot in the thigh, is now in good health and preparing to rejoin his colleagues.
“The National Anti-Illegal Mining Operations Secretariat (NAIMOS) wishes to inform the general public that, a member of its task force, Lance Corporal (L/Cpl) Morris Addae, who was shot in the thigh during an anti-galamsey operation earlier this year, has now successfully recovered,” the statement said.
The incident occurred on 20 January 2026, when unknown assailants opened fire on the NAIMOS team during an operation along the Subinkrom–Kyeremasu stretch in Dormaa Central. L/Cpl Addae was rushed to the St Matthew Catholic Hospital, Ampenkuro, where he received immediate medical attention.
Following several weeks of treatment and rehabilitation, the ministry said he is now ready to return to duty.
During a visit to the recovering soldier on Thursday, L/Cpl Addae expressed his appreciation to his supervisors and well-wishers.
He thanked the sector minister, Hon. Emmanuel Armah-Kofi Buah (MP), the leadership of NAIMOS, and all well-wishers for their support throughout his recovery, the statement noted.
The delegation that visited him was led by the NAIMOS Director of Operations, Colonel Dominic Buah, who also commended L/Cpl Addae’s courage and dedication to duty.
The ministry emphasised that despite the dangers associated with anti-galamsey enforcement, NAIMOS remains committed to its mandate.
“NAIMOS remains resolute in its mandate and will continue with all routine operations in line with the vision of President John Dramani Mahama to combat illegal mining,” the press release concluded.
The shooting of a security officer during a galamsey operation drew public attention earlier this year. Illegal mining, colloquially known as galamsey, continues to pose significant environmental and security challenges in several parts of Ghana, with task forces such as NAIMOS and the police engaging in regular crackdowns across affected regions.
Latest Stories
-
DTI students showcase innovative solutions at 2026 Capstone Projects Exhibition
27 minutes -
‘We let the athletes down’ – NSA boss on Ghana’s Commonwealth Games campaign
35 minutes -
Jinapor prioritises exploration, investment to reverse Ghana’s oil production decline
37 minutes -
Eric Tinkler highlights deep-rooted challenges at Asante Kotoko, admits club is aware
40 minutes -
Next 15 years of Petroleum Commission must focus on transformation – John Jinapor
41 minutes -
Bank of Ghana’s negative equity should not come as a surprise – Minority
42 minutes -
US$3.5bn fresh investment shows renewed confidence in Ghana’s oil sector – Jinapor
43 minutes -
Another centenary in Keta: Vodza RC School
1 hour -
GES engages teacher unions over concerns about 2025 promotion dates
1 hour -
Ghana must move from participation to ownership in petroleum sector – Jinapor
1 hour -
Government moves to restore investor confidence as Ghana seeks to revive oil production
1 hour -
Kingsley Agyemang calls for legally protected fund to tackle Africa’s flood risk
1 hour -
Andre Ayew Backs Grassroots Sports as Ghana-Anhui Chamber Donates 2,120 Items for Constituency Games
1 hour -
Hostel Owners Association accuse Rent Control of threats, unfair treatment to operators
2 hours -
NSA opens special desk to resolve Ghana Card, school biodata mismatches
2 hours