Audio By Carbonatix
Head coach of the Black Stars Charles Akonnor believes his side put in an improved performance against Sudan despite losing 1-0 in Omdurman.
The result meant that Ghana had failed to secure qualification to the 2021 Africa Cup of Nations and will have to wait till March next year when they face South Africa and Sao Tome and Principe.
The Black Stars had earlier beaten the North Africans 2-0 at the Cape Coast stadium. However, Akonnor stated that in the reverse fixture he saw a much more improved performance.
“If I look at the way we played in Ghana and the way we played here, I feel there is a bit of improvement in terms of containing pressure. Also the way we prepared for these two assignments was not easy at all. At the end, we had the necessary guys we need to be on board. Those who had the chance to play did their part but it wasn’t enough to carry the day,” Akonnor told the Ghana Football Association media team.
All hope is not lost for the Black Stars as two draws or a win will be enough to book a place in the continental showpiece which takes place in Cameroon. Akonnor is confident his side will improve and seal qualification next year.
“We played without many key players like the captain [Andre], Kudus and other people. Looking at all this, I strongly believe that we did well. We [will] learn from these mistakes and in March we have two matches coming on. I can assure Ghanaians that we will do our best to qualify.”
Ghana will travel to face South Africa on March 22, 2021 before facing Sao Tome at home eight days later.
Latest Stories
-
Arrest and denial of bail being used to intimidate opposition voices — Egyapa Mercer
4 minutes -
GN Savings & Loans: Banking sector clean-up could’ve been managed better – Bobby Banson
22 minutes -
National Chief Imam urges Ghanaian pilgrims to uphold discipline and unity ahead of 2026 Hajj
28 minutes -
Government owes GN Bank GH¢300m in unpaid interim payment certificates — Dr Ndoum
45 minutes -
Fernandes named Premier League player of season
45 minutes -
BoG failed in its supervisory role in GN Bank crisis — Senyo Hosi
50 minutes -
Mahama cuts sod for Bole College of Education, unveils major development projects for Savannah Region
1 hour -
NDC tightens control over media representation
1 hour -
GN Savings licence revocation came as a shock – Dr Kweku Ndoum
1 hour -
GN Bank was not insolvent before downgrade and licence revocation – Kweku Ndoum
1 hour -
US tells foreigners seeking green cards: Return to your countries to apply
1 hour -
Trump says he will not attend son Donald Trump Jr.’s wedding
1 hour -
Without discipline, Ghana risks a return to IMF – CPS Director warns
2 hours -
Minority caucus demands immediate laying of BoG accounts before Parliament
2 hours -
Black Sherif takes victory lap to Telecel Ghana HQ after 27th TGMA sweep
2 hours