Audio By Carbonatix
A member of the Lands and Forestry Committee in Parliament has blamed President Akufo-Addo's failure to clamp down on illegal small-scale mining on the absence of a clear and decisive strategy.
According to Alhassan Suhuyini, the President's strategy towards fighting galamsey lacked planning and foresight.
“If there was a clear plan and if it was carefully thought through then the President won’t be asking us again to debate on what he had already decided to deal with and even put his presidency on the line if he failed.
“Clearly, that is an admission that the thinking that went into it could have been better. Now the question is, what has the President done to those people who we all know and agree may have internally sabotaged this fight,” he asked Evans Mensah on JoyNews’ PM Express.
President Akufo-Addo in his presentation of his final State of the Nation address to the 7th parliament called for an honest conversation on galamsey devoid of politicization.
This call has, however, triggered interesting conversations amongst civil society organizations and political opponents.
According to the Information Minister, Kojo Oppong Nkrumah, President Akufo-Addo was victimized for his fight against galamsey during his first term to the point of losing votes and even seats in Parliament.
Meanwhile, Centre for Democratic Development’s (CDD), Kojo Asante Pumpuni admitted that the call for dialogue on the matter by the President is worth noting.
“I think the President is right that we [Ghanaians] need to have an honest conversation about it. But I think the topic is not whether to allow galamsey or not to allow it. But it should be geared towards, permitting small scale mining juxtaposed against illegal mining,” he said.
Contributing to the discussion, the president of the policy think-tank IMANI Africa, Franklin Cudjoe suggested that government first pay attention to the processes of acquiring mining licenses as a starting point in the fight against the menace.
Latest Stories
-
Ronaldinho seeks 300th goal with comeback aged 46
3 hours -
Your voice, your future – Opare Addo opens National Youth Forum 2026
3 hours -
GRA pushes data-driven tax administration to boost revenue mobilisation
4 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Presby SHS, Bompata crushes Sacred Heart’s hopes of reaching one-eighth stage
4 hours -
Africa Golf Tourism Convention opens in South Africa to unlock opportunities
4 hours -
BOGISS alleged sexual assault: Dr Apaak demands protection for autism victim
4 hours -
GTEC trains tertiary officials on new affiliation quality assurance framework
4 hours -
Luv FM High School Debate: OKESS, OSASS silence K’Wey Gey and KASS in fierce round of 16
4 hours -
Alcaraz to play US Open after four months out
4 hours -
Even if all foreigners leave, South Africa’s problems will remain – Dr Yamson blames state failure
4 hours -
Mahama announces GH¢500m district housing programme; rollout to begin this year
4 hours -
Energy Committee yet to receive July 29 blackout report – Adomako-Mensah
5 hours -
Five in six Ghana health facilities fall short of basic sanitation standard – WHO/UNICEF
5 hours -
Mohammed Fuseini in talks over Troyes move from Union SG
5 hours -
‘Bear with the system’ – Energy Ministry says temporary power control room to be ready by September
5 hours