The Managing Editor of the Daily Dispatch newspaper, Ben Ephson, has predicted that Vice President Dr Mahamudu Bawumia will be the 2024 flagbearer of the National Patriotic Party (NPP).
Speaking to Roselyn Felli on Prime Morning, he explained that Dr Bawumia stands tall among all other persons who may contest.
“If I have to put my last penny down, I think Bawumia will win. The reason why I think that Alan will have difficulty is that I think Alan’s greatest political mistake was not going into Parliament.
“Alan Kyerematen was picked in 2007 when he contested Akufo-Addo for the NPP slot. That was 15 years ago. Since then, he hasn’t been involved in party affairs openly,” he observed.
The pollster added that Dr Bawumia is the favourite of Ghanaians, making it a possibility for him to win the election.
Five names including Minister of Energy, Matthew Opoku Prempeh; the Chief of Staff, Akosua Frema Osei-Opare; Majority Leader, Osei Kyei-Mensah-Bonsu; first Deputy Speaker of Parliament, Joseph Osei-Owusu, and Minister for Education, Dr Yaw Osei Adutwum, have popped up as potential running mates of Dr Bawumia.
Among these names, Ben Ephson says Energy Minister Dr Opoku Prempeh is likely to be chosen as the running mate.
“I think it’s going to be between the Minister of Energy and the Chief of Staff, but I suspect it’s even the Minister of Energy, it could be – that’s my suspicion.
“But the rest is in Bawumia’s head and the list that the leading members of the party will agree to, but if I have to put my last penny, I’ll put it on the Minister of Energy.”
He applauded Ghanaians for being swing voters, saying there is an expectation of a similar situation in the 2024 general elections.
- My loss to Manny Pacquiao was deliberate – Joshua Clottey
- Medical Doctor gets emotional on Joy FM over debt exchange
- Black Stars’ Christian Atsu reportedly missing after earthquake in Turkey
- Kuami Eugene opens up about weight gain
- Photos: British actor Idris Elba visits Manhyia Palace
- 5 injured as Bibiani Zongo residents clash with Asante Gold Corporation security men
- Government unlikely to pay ¢4.185bn 5-year bond maturing on February 6, 2022
- Over 1000 dead as huge quake toppled buildings in Turkey and Syria while people slept
- Cedi continues recent gain against dollar; $1 now ¢10.40
- Fitch reiterates position cedi will record strong performance in 2023
- Christian Atsu missing: Social media users pray for him
- It is sad BoG unlawfully printed $3.3bn for government – IEA Director of Research
- Finance Minister entreats Individual Pension Bondholders to accept current terms
- CHAN: Defeats to Madagascar and Niger; is that the Ghana Premier League’s true level?
- US State Department begins POD to Ghana tomorrow
- Most businesses perceive improved economic environment; but corruption, taxes hinder progress – UKGCC
- DJSky celebrates his birthday in grand style
- Muntaka accepts Minority leadership reshuffle after meeting with Mahama
- Stonebwoy, Edem spotted at Grammys
- New revision to terms of Domestic Debt Exchange more complex; target may be missed – Bright Simons
- Digital Cooperation Organisation holds first in-person General Assembly hosting delegations from 13 countries
- U/E Regional Minister calls for all guns in Bawku to go silent
- In pictures: The 2023 Grammy Awards
- ‘I’m finding it difficult to marry economic crisis to Ken Ofori-Atta’ – Dr Perbi
- Newly enstooled Prampram Asafoatse pledges to work for peace and development