President of the Ghana Boxing Authority (GBA), Abraham Neequaye, says Britain-based Ghanaian sensation Seth Gyimah has decided to naturalize for the UK.
The GBA boss says Seth, also known as Freezy MacBones had initially planned to fight under Ghana’s name.
The professional boxer first caught the country’s attention in April following his victory over Darryl Sharp at the Copper Boxing Arena in London.
The 33-year-old fought in an under-card bout in the Joe Joyce vs Zhilei Zhang main event over the weekend as he defeated his opponent through a unanimous decision by the judges.
It was only his second professional fight since leaving Ghana for the United Kingdom.
This feat caused many Ghanaians to habour the idea of him joining the Ghana team on the international front.
But the Association says prior to his recent bouts, Freezy applied for a GBA license, which would have made him a Ghanaian boxer.
However, he switched to a UK license to compete as a British in the lead-up to his Darryl Sharp face-off.
Neequaye in an interview with Romeo TV said, “We sent him a message and he can confirm it.
“Before his fight in the UK, he had come to Ghana to get a license from the Ghana Boxing Authority.
He came for our license, but when it was time to get a release letter from us, he changed his mind and decided to fight as a UK national.”
- Asking Domelevo to proceed on leave unconstitutional – Supreme Court
- Supreme Court strikes out law that allowed government to impose restrictions during Covid-19 pandemic
- M.anifest joins father to celebrate his grandmother’s 98th birthday
- Abedi Pele watches Jordan Ayew face off with Andre Ayew at Selhurst Park
- Ama Ata Aidoo’s iconic 1987 interview that shook the world
- SIM card deactivation: Crowds besiege NIA centres for Ghana Card
- I’m sad presidency is at the forefront of doing unconstitutional things – Domelevo on Supreme Court ruling
- Doctor fired for prescribing ice cream and video games to child with sore throat
- Supreme Court ruling comes as a very big birthday present to me – Domelevo
- AngloGold incident: 79 illegal miners out of underground mine
- Nigeria’s state oil firm increases petrol price
- ‘It’s disappointing’ – Bofoakwa Tano coach on not being able to lead the team in Ghana Premier League
- Pupils walking to school affecting access to education in Adaklu District
- UG’s WACCI has been incredible in efforts at improving Africa’s food security – AGRA Boss
- CBOD is not opposed to gold-for-oil, BOST managing strategic stocks says CEO
- Fire guts chain of mechanic shops at Asokwa in Kumasi
- Sleep well Aunty Ama Ata Aidoo and Thank You, Trudy
- Supreme Court dismisses case against regulation of plant breeders
- Six women rescued in Nigeria ‘baby factory’ raid
- Theophilus Acheampong: Ghana and the IMF have struck a deal, but hard choices lie ahead
- Today’s front pages: Thursday, June 1, 2023
- OMCs start increasing fuel prices; Goil selling a litre of petrol, diesel for ¢12.45
- Nigeria’s fuel subsidy: How the new president has shocked the nation
- Debt ceiling deal: US House overwhelmingly passes bill
- The Truman Show: Has a film ever predicted the future so accurately?