Audio By Carbonatix
American musician, Chance The Rapper has shared a story of a power outage he experienced while in Ghana.
The rapper said the incident happened during his first day in the country in January this year.
In an interview with Kojo Manuel, the rapper revealed that on his first day in the country, he went to a club with colleague musician Vic Mensa among others.
Around 2 am when the party was at its peak, the lights went off, leaving the place in darkness and the music cut off, he said.
Chance The Rapper explained that he was initially alarmed because in Chicago where he comes from power off was usually a terrible sign something wrong might happen.
However, shortly after the lights went out the people began singing Burna Boy’s ‘Ye’ and they did so till the lights came back on, he narrated.
“It was like 300 people kept singing it, everybody just kept dancing basically till the power came back on. But it was such a moment of solidarity and we do that in Chicago too."
"So it was me relating that back to experiences that I had in Chicago and just feeling safe. That was one of the craziest things I have ever seen in my life," Chance The Rapper narrated.
The rapper and his friend Vic Mensa to make the best out of their experiences in Ghana.
Vic Mensa noted that he has always advocated for people to visit Africa because many of the countries beat those stereotypes people have attacked the continent for years.
To ensure African Americans learn more about the continent they returned to Ghana in July with about eight high school freshmen from Chicago in the US after spending time in the country in January 2022.
Their stay was part of an educational travel experience they promised to offer anyone who joined them in the subsequent trips to Ghana.
Taking to Instagram, Vic Mensa noted that “a year ago we had the idea to take a group of kids from Chicago to Ghana. There are some things about yourself that you can only understand by knowing where you come from.”
The musician added that “Our dream is to build bridges that cross the ocean of divide created by the transatlantic slave trade. Today we are one step closer to actualizing that dream.”
Meanwhile, Vic Mensa and Chance The Rapper will be hosting a concert in Ghana come 2023.
The musicians announced they would be headlining the concert on January 6, 2023, at the Free The Youth outlet over the weekend.
Vic Mensa and Chance The rapper dubbed their first major concert in Ghana Black Star Line Festival.
Speaking at the conference, Vic Mensa revealed that the event will feature some of the biggest global stars.
He noted that the Black Star Line Festival is aimed at achieving the goal of bridging the gap between Africans on the continent and those in the diaspora.
Latest Stories
-
Dr Abena Nyarkoa to join panel discussion at Africa Together Conference in Cambridge
2 hours -
Walmart warns US shoppers are cutting spending as higher petrol prices bite
3 hours -
Flexible exchange rate regime critical in absorbing external shocks – First Deputy Governor
3 hours -
Toilets and changing rooms must be used on basis of biological sex, guidance confirms
3 hours -
Emily in Paris to end after sixth season, says Netflix
3 hours -
Angry crowd sets Ebola hospital tents on fire in DR Congo
3 hours -
Russia and China condemn US over indictment of former Cuban leader
3 hours -
Bank of Ghana reverts to previous Cash Reserve Ratio policy after scrapping it last year
3 hours -
Ghana-eligible defender Beres Owusu signs permanent deal with Grazer AK
3 hours -
A Super El Niño is coming: What does it mean for Ghana?
4 hours -
Driving Schools Association pushes for mandatory driver training to reduce road crashes
4 hours -
Climate change exists with or without humans — Youth advocate
4 hours -
Plastic waste driving flooding and climate concerns in Bamaahu — Youth Climate Reporter
5 hours -
This week on The Career Trail
5 hours -
My book was born out of university research – Mary Anane Awuku
5 hours