Ghana has been ranked 1st in West Africa and 9th in Africa with the cheapest cost of electricity for household.
According to Global Petrol Prices. Com, the country is also ranked 27th in the world.
The rankings are coming at a time when the utility tariff providers in the country are making a case for increase in utility tariffs.
The world average price of electricity is pegged at $0.133 per kilowatt/hour (kWh) for household users and $0.124 per kWh for business users.
In Ghana, the cost of electricity per kilowatt/hour for household is $0.046 cents which is less than a dollar.
The situation is similar to that of business consumers, though countries in the region have cheaper cost for electricity bill.
This clearly shows that the cost of electricity in the country for household, compared to other countries on the continent is very low.
That goes to buttress the point by the utility tariff providers for an imminent increase in electricity and water bills. Whilst the Electricity Company of Ghana is requesting for 148% increase in electricity tariff, covering 2019 and 2022, Ghana Water Company Limited is demanding for an increase of 334% in water tariff.
Meanwhile, Sudan has the cheapest electricity tariff in Africa and the World for household.
It is followed by Libya and Ethiopia in 2nd and 3rd positions respectively.
RANKING OF COUNTRIES WITH CHEAPEST COST OF ELECTRICITY IN AFRICA FOR HOUSEHOLD CONSUMERS
|COUNTRY||COST($) 100 cents =$1||RANKING|
- Lupita Nyong’o celebrates father’s win in Kenya polls
- We have created a President who is unresponsive to the needs of the citizens – Prof. Agyeman-Duah
- UDS student attacked over comments about Regional Minister’s dressing on social media
- Mahama consoles family of late A.B. Crenstil
- ECG to restore power to Yilo and Manya Krobo municipalities
- Akufo-Addo is playing games with the security apparatus to ‘break the 8’ – Martin Amidu
- Special Prosecutor to probe all tax waivers granted by the Customs Division after Labianca case
- Usher, Stormzy, Stonebwoy, Tems, Gyakie, others to headline Global Citizen festival in Accra
- Consult on the reasons for the increasing calls for reshuffling – Kwadwo Mpiani
- Martin A. B. K. Amidu: New leadership to National Security Apparatus and Akufo-Addo’s long game of breaking 8
Premier League: Blues, Spurs set for early season thriller
Euro Leagues Preview: Premier League, La Liga and Serie A
La Liga preview: Lewandowski leads Barcelona’s attack to test Real Madrid resolve
Serie A preview: Milan to open title defense against Udinese, Jose treks to Salernitana
Global Summit on Reparations and Racial Healing sets new standard for reparations advocacy
We need all hands on deck to address economic challenges – Deputy Finance Minister
2022/23 betPawa PL: Hearts and Kotoko clash on matchday 3 as GFA release fixtures
Patient recovers from complete paralysis due to use of neuro navigator
YEA’s new CEO assumes office
Joshua Mortoti appointed Gold Fields West Africa head
‘My greatest fear is dying in my sleep’ – Prophet Ajagurajah
Musicians come to me for spiritual protection – Prophet Ajagurajah
Playback: PM Express discusses how to get Ghana’s economic recovery right
Bread and butter issues influence swing votes, not ministerial reshuffle – Ben Ephson
LaLiga Santander Matchday 1 preview: The new season begins with tricky tests for the title challengers