Audio By Carbonatix
Over 100 students of the Nyinahini Catholic SHS in the Ashanti region have been displaced following a fire outbreak in the boy’s dormitory.
The dormitory was razed in what is suspected to be arson by some students.
Items, including school uniforms, food boxes and other learning materials were destroyed.
According to fire officials, the fire started at about 7pm Friday at the boys' dormitory. It happened on the blind side of school authorities while students were attending evening prayers.
Fire officers defied attacks and heckling by residents to prevent the fire from spreading. The Public Relations Officer at the Ashanti Command, DOIII Desmond Ackah, says two tenders from Nyinahin and Nkawie fire stations were at the fire ground to manage the raging fire.
"Fire was at its fully developed stage – it was spreading rapidly in all directions - when the first crew got to the fire scene. The entire block A building - six room boys dormitory - was caught up in flames."

According to the fire officials, fire was brought under control as at 9.27 pm but fully extinguished by 10.33pm
The entire dormitory block A structure and its contents including student beds, mattress, clothing and other personal student effects, books, electrical fittings and fixtures, wooden ceilings, doors, windows, and roofing sheets got burnt by the fire.

A section of the rooms where the fire affected had severe roofs caved in.
Though, no student casualty was recorded, one firefighter was assaulted by unknown persons who fled the scene after the act during firefighting.

DOIII Ackah said the cause of fire is under investigation.
PTA Vice Chairman, Eric Kofi Peprah, says police had been prompted earlier of such an attack on the school. The police had begun patrolling the school on Thursday.
According to him, the patrol team were expected to start Friday's patrol at 8pm.

Addressing the student body Saturday morning, headmistress of the school, Mrs Emma Amoateng Mensah, encouraged the students to stay calm.
She said there are arrangements to supply affected students with uniforms.
Nyinahinihene, Amampene Boateng Kyei the second, together with community leaders visited the school. The school wants those found culpable to be punished to serve as deterrent.
The district security council and management of the school have begun investigations into the incident.
Estimated cost of damage is yet to be assessed.
Latest Stories
-
Paul Twum-Barimah hails High Court decision granting bail to Abronye DC
2 minutes -
Ghana, the smile of Africa returns to the world stage of football
13 minutes -
Ghana, US explore deeper digital cooperation
17 minutes -
NFA boss Kafui Danku launches long-awaited film fund
23 minutes -
Gov’t postpones evacuation of Ghanaians from South Africa amid xenophobic attacks
26 minutes -
Rootz Sistaz secure Women’s Premier League promotion with a game to spare
28 minutes -
Digital Mob Justice: How reckless Social Media destroy marriages, families, and lives
30 minutes -
NAIMOS arrests 4 armed suspects along Ankobra River
33 minutes -
Court of Appeal restores license of GN Savings and Loans
42 minutes -
M-KOPA Ghana Impact Report reveals smartphones are unlocking health insurance and economic opportunity
43 minutes -
Fire destroys Afiadenyigba SHS dormitory
1 hour -
Commuters stranded as train derails after crushing stray cattle at Avenor
1 hour -
Gov’t “over impressed” IMF with deep expenditure cut in 2025 – Prof Bokpin
1 hour -
FDA intensifies checks on imported frozen chicken, meat and fish to boost food safety
2 hours -
Policy rate at 14%: Middle East crisis is the elephant in the room – BoG boss
2 hours